Making a big cake!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bridgett

Assistant Cook
I'm making a large slab cake for my mum's birthday, and wondering how i go about changing cooking time/temperature......Im used to making small round cakes! Any advice would be much appreciated

I think it would help if you could define 'large slab cake' a little better, lol! What size is the actual pan? What is your cake recipe? Are you doubling/tripling the recipe?:chef:

It's just a normal chocolate cake recipe --

125g butter
3/4 cup castor sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sr flour
3/4 cup plain flour
1/3 cup coco
1/2 tsp bi-carb
1/2 cup milk

I think ill triple it?
The pan will be about 30 cm square.

Chocolate Cake With Whipped Chocolate Frosting

CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH WHIPPED CHOCOLATE FROSTING
1 ½ cups cocoa (150g)
1 ½ cups boiling water
500 g butter
4 ½ cups caster sugar (1kg)
2 teaspoons vanilla
8 eggs
4 cups self-raising flour
1 cup flour (150g)
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
2 ½ cups buttermilk (625ml)
WHIPPED CHOCOLATE FROSTING
300 g dark chocolate, chopped
200 g milk chocolate, chopped
180 g butter, chopped
2 teaspoons oil
Preheat the oven to moderately slow (160°C/140°C fan-forced). Whisk cocoa and boiling water in a medium bowl until smooth; cool. Grease a deep 30cm square cake pan. Line the base and sides with two layers of baking paper, extending the paper 5cm above the edge of the pan. Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating until just combined between additions. Transfer butter mixture to a very large bowl. Stir in combined sifted flours and soda, and the buttermilk in three batches until well combined. Stir in the cocoa mixture, mix well. Spread mixture into the prepared pan and bake in a moderately slow oven for 1½ hours or until cooked when tested. Cool cake in pan for 20 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool. Spread Whipped Chocolate Frosting mixture over the top and sides of the cooled cake.
WHIPPED CHOCOLATE FROSTING: Place both chocolates and butter in a medium heatproof bowl, stir over a pan of simmering water until chocolate and butter melts. Stir in the oil. Refrigerate chocolate mixture until thick. Beat chocolate mixture with an electric mixer for about 3 minutes.
Un-iced cake suitable to freeze.
Whipped Chocolate Frosting suitable to microwave.

From
Australian Woman's Weekly web-site
http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/ARTICLE.aspx?id=43849

Thank you very much. Looks good - and Womens Weekly Recipes are usually pretty reliable. Thanks again! :)

The depth of the cake will make the difference. If it is not as deep as normal, you won't have to bake it as long. I use the same temperature for my sheet cakes as I do my deeper cakes though.

Back
Top Bottom