Making a smaller cake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kitty09b

Assistant Cook
I'm really looking forward to making this "heaven and hell" cake:
(can't post a link... darn... here are the ingredients)
FOR THE GANACHE:
2 lbs. milk chocolate, such as Valrhona, chopped
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

FOR THE ANGEL FOOD CAKE:
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup cake flour
1 1/2 cups egg whites
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1/8 tsp. kosher salt
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract

FOR THE DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE:
1/2 cup vegetable shortening, plus more for pan
1 1/2 cups cake flour, plus more for pan
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 cup coffee
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs

FOR THE PEANUT BUTTER MOUSSE:
1 1/2 lbs. cream cheese, at room temperature
4 cups smooth peanut butter, at room temperature
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

but it looks like far too much cake! I really want to make it maybe just three layers - one angel food layer, one devil's food layer, and one peanut butter mousse layer. I'm fairly certain I could just half the ingredients for the peanut butter mousse and ganache, but baking the cake involves making two 10 inch cakes and cutting them in half, to make two layers of each kind. Would just halfing the ingredients for the cake parts work as well? How would I adjust the baking time?

As for the baking time, look at it. If the sides are pulling away, toothpick test, etc...
Why not do the whole cake recipes and freeze the layers you don't use for another time? Halving or doubling baking recipes can be tricky.

My thoughts exactly about making the full cake recipe and freezing half. Both those types of cake should freeze well. Then you'll have the stuff to make a second one when the first one goes quickly!

I'm going to "third" the suggestion for freezing the cake layers you don't need for this cake. If it turns out half as good as you think it will, you'll be glad to have them on hand for an encore!

Back
Top Bottom