Mango and....?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zahra

Assistant Cook
Hi!

I'm doing a variation on a recipe I found on Epicurious : the original recipe was called Lemon-Berry Cake.

Well, I'm replacing the lemon pound cake by a chocolate one and I want to replace the lemon fool by a mango mousse (as a filling), but with the lemon fool, they put blueberries and raspberries. Any suggestion as to which berry could go well with mango?

Also, I'll need to look for a frosting recipe.

Zahra.

My thoughts

are that mango and chocolate ( the dark variety) don't go well together. I just can't think of mango with dark chocolate. I also don't think berries and mangoes go well together. Oh well that may be my Indian upbringing but never seen how the two flavors can be combined so that one does not overpower or kill another. I can see it combined with other tropical fruits such as pineapple but never with berries.

I would say that if you want to make a cake with a mango mousse you should make a white chocolate cake and then fill that with the mango mousse and then top the entire cake with whipped cream (flavored with orange extract and some powdered sugar). The entire cake should be decorated with sliced mangoes and some flaked coconuts and chilled before serving.

Mango and any soft-flavored thing, like coconut, pineapple, pecans, hazelnuts.
Raspberries are strong enough to compete and compliment the mango, and taste good with chocolate, too. I think other berries will work, too--especially the red ones.

I'd go for it and see how it tastes--that's what really counts! Make a cake and cut it into portions and combine it with the mousse and different berries, fruits, nuts, etc. and see which one you like the best.

middie said:
i would try strawberries or maybe boysenberries

Ooh! Yes, Boysenberries!! Mulberries are interesting, too if you can get them fresh.

Both mangoes & papayas are quite compatible with other tropical fruits, such as passion fruits & kiwis. But they are equally well-paired with fresh local berries – perhaps raspberries are best of all.

I have made a mango-coconut sorbet that was analagous to a frozen colada. Also a purée of mango with lime juice & light rum that was served with a compote of banana, orange, coconut, pineapple. In India, this purée is often spread on a dish, accompanied by various other fruits, whole or sliced, set around it. Sometimes bread is served to scoop up this luscious fruit.

And, believe me, a mango tart tatin served with rum-whipped cream & candied ginger is truly wonderful!

Back
Top Bottom