Mini meringues oozing sugar syrup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyberialman

Assistant Cook
HI All,
I hope this is the correct forum. I've just baked some mini meringues. They came out crisp with a good shape. But, sugar syrup (a toffee consistency) is oozing out of their base.

Anyone know why toffee is coming out the bottom of my meringues?

The meringues also instantly dissolve in the mouth with a sugary texture rather than that classic powdery meringue texture.

Thanks for the help,
Andrew

My process:
I beat the egg whites to soft peaks, added the salt, then added the sugar 1 spoon at a time. Then beat until dissolved and firm white peaks. Whole process took approx 15min. I baked at 95degC. Took approx 2h15min to firm up. Light golden colour.
Problem: sticky sugar syrup/toffee oozing from base and sugary texture.

It's not toffee except in color. When the egg whites get hot the proteins contract and squeeze out moisture droplets in the egg whites.

Undissolved sugar will cause weeping in merguine. When you are beating the egg whites, stop when they are at soft peaks. Sprinkle with sugar and let set at least 5 minutes and then continue to beat to firm peaks. You may also wnt to consider using powdered sugar that easily dissolves in egg whites. Good luck!

Undissolved sugar will cause weeping in merguine. When you are beating the egg whites, stop when they are at soft peaks. Sprinkle with sugar and let set at least 5 minutes and then continue to beat to firm peaks. You may also wnt to consider using powdered sugar that easily dissolves in egg whites. Good luck!

I've never heard of doing it this way before .. will do that next time I make anything meringue. I also get those weepy spots and never really knew why .. still tasted great so didn't worry about it .. but now I need to try this .. thanks for sharing it !!

i love the look of those sugary droplets that form atop the meringue of a homemade pie. to me, they add to its appeal, a certain sweet 'lick-abiity'....

Back
Top Bottom