"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 02-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Ha ! I m glad Alix found Kylie's recipe too. Looks like a winner. Duly C & P this time around.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #32
Executive Chef

oh kylie, you struck the perfect chord with so many of us with your moist, orange citrus cake recipe.:) even i, who rarely bake, must have this one soon! what sort of sugar is needed for it, and, self-rising flour--that's not the same as all-purpose flour, or is it?

Old 02-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #33
Everymom

I think self rising flour has a tsp of baking powder per cup of flour.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 PM   #34
Executive Chef

thanks, alix. also, i read that a good substitution for caster sugar can be made by giving regular granulated sugar a few quick pulses in the fp.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:12 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Caster sugar is what we call Superfine. Or you can whizz it in the FP...if you got one for Christmas or was that an immersion blender Alix was missing?
Old 02-06-2013, 03:55 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
oh kylie, you struck the perfect chord with so many of us with your moist, orange citrus cake recipe.:) even i, who rarely bake, must have this one soon! what sort of sugar is needed for it, and, self-rising flour--that's not the same as all-purpose flour, or is it?
V, caster sugar is the one to use, very, very fine granules and with the flour, our self raising flour is not plain flour (all purpose flour) so what you need to do is for each cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt...then you will have self raising flour
Old 02-06-2013, 03:57 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
HA! I found it! I've been looking for this recipe for ages and finally remembered it was Kylies. Thanks again Kylie. C&P this one to my files .
Your very welcome Alix, I hope you enjoy it
Old 02-06-2013, 04:02 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Ha ! I m glad Alix found Kylie's recipe too. Looks like a winner. Duly C & P this time around.
Cheers Whisk, enjoy!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:21 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

When I think of self rising flour, I use cake self rising. Swans Down and Softassilk comes to mind. They come with and without the baking powder.

Tags
cake, orange, recipe

Moist Orange Cake I made a lovely Orange Cake today using fresh oranges off our trees :) [B]Moist Orange Cake [/B] [I]Ingredients[/I] cup caster sugar, sifted 125g butter, softened 2 eggs cup freshly squeezed orange juice 1 tsp finely grated orange rind 1 cups self raising flour, sifted [I]Method [/I] 1. Preheat oven to 180C. 2. Beat butter, sugar and orange rind together with an electric mixer until fluffy. 3. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until just combined. 4. Add flour and orange juice and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. 5. Pour mixture into a well greased 20cm tin. 6. Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. 7. Turn onto a wire rack and allow to cool. [B]Orange Icing[/B] 40g butter, melted tsp finely grated orange rind 5 tbsp orange juice 1 cups icing sugar, sifted 1. Pour melted butter into icing sugar and stir until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. 2. Add orange juice and orange rind and beat with an electric mixer to make a smooth frosting. 3. Spread over cake when cool 3 stars 1 reviews