"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 07-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
Head Chef
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I am gonna try that recipe, it looks really good!
Some extra notes about the Devil's Food Cake:
I don't use Godiva chocolate - I use Ghirardelli.
I use strong brewed espresso instead of coffee.
I've used both natural and Dutched cocoa, and they both turn out equally well.

"Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
merstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #12
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by yourstrulyewalani View Post
I haven't but it sounds worth making. I'm going to have a lot of cake that needs frosting or ganache-ing so I will try it!

I had a very good suggestion to use applesauce or mashed bananas to add moisture in place of butter or oil. I will try melted butter and mashed bananas and see how that goes. (One of each not a combination, although that may not be a bad idea.)
OK for what it is worth.... I hate when people say to replace oil or butter with applesauce or mashed banana!!! These are not equivalent to oil in any way. Your cake will be less tender. It will appear to be moist but it is only more dense because the cake will rise less (has something to do with fat lubricating the strands of gluten). Fat is also a great carrier of flavor, applesauce is not.

I can tell in an instant if someone has used applesauce in a quick bread or cake, instead of a nice tender crumb, you get a more rubbery dense crumb.

My motto is, if I'm gonna eat something like cake, I want it to be great! Is it worth sacrificing flavor and texture, to save 50 or less calories per slice? I can say this as someone who has lost 60 lbs. this year, all while enjoying cake and pastry every so often.

This isn't meant to be a lecture, but I am sure it sounds that way. I just like to let people know that applesauce does not equal oil. You can get away with replacing some oil with applesauce in muffins and quick breads, but not all of it, since these have a rougher texture and less tender crumb.

bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote