"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 06-30-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to yourstrulyewalani
Moisture in Cake

I have a recipe for chocolate cake that is good but I have a problem. It turns out nice and moist when I use oil but I prefer the flavor when I use butter. Is there a way to get a nice moist chocolate cake from scratch with the equivalent of oil using butter? Should I use extra butter?

My ingredients are: oil, milk, sugar, vanilla, instant coffee, flour, baking soda, eggs and chocolate syrup.

I really want a moist chocolate cake without oil. I prefer butter. :)

Old 07-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
Head Chef

This cake is ultra moist and uses butter - (note that it's melted butter). I make this every year for my husband's birthday - it's fantastic. I don't use the white frosting, but make extra ganache filling to both frost and fill the cake layers. Also, I keep this as a two-layer cake instead of making four layers.
***Caution: Make sure you line the pans with buttered and dusted parchment paper - the cake layers are so moist, they stick to the pans like glue!
DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE WITH FLUFFY WHITE FROSTING
Devil's Food Cake with Fluffy White Frosting at Godiva.com

Old 07-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
Senior Cook

I never thought of using melted butter! Come to think of it, when I made chocolate chip cookies that seemed "moist" (greasy for a cookie) it was when the butter had melted form the heat. I'll try my recipe with melted butter and see if there is a difference! Thank you merstar!
Old 07-01-2010, 03:24 AM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulyewalani View Post
I never thought of using melted butter! Come to think of it, when I made chocolate chip cookies that seemed "moist" (greasy for a cookie) it was when the butter had melted form the heat. I'll try my recipe with melted butter and see if there is a difference! Thank you merstar!
You're very welcome - Let me know how it turns out!
Old 07-01-2010, 07:04 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Melted butter may help.

Butter usually makes a slightly less moist cake (butter contains some water compared to oil). Oil will make it more moist and will be softer right out of the fridge, where butter cakes need to be brought closer to room temp to soften up.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by merstar View Post
This cake is ultra moist and uses butter - (note that it's melted butter). I make this every year for my husband's birthday - it's fantastic. I don't use the white frosting, but make extra ganache filling to both frost and fill the cake layers. Also, I keep this as a two-layer cake instead of making four layers.
***Caution: Make sure you line the pans with buttered and dusted parchment paper - the cake layers are so moist, they stick to the pans like glue!
DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE WITH FLUFFY WHITE FROSTING
Devil's Food Cake with Fluffy White Frosting at Godiva.com
I am gonna try that recipe, it looks really good!

Have you ever made whipped ganache? It is heavenly!
Old 07-01-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

I haven't but it sounds worth making. I'm going to have a lot of cake that needs frosting or ganache-ing so I will try it!

I had a very good suggestion to use applesauce or mashed bananas to add moisture in place of butter or oil. I will try melted butter and mashed bananas and see how that goes. (One of each not a combination, although that may not be a bad idea.)
Old 07-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourstrulyewalani View Post
I have a recipe for chocolate cake that is good but I have a problem. It turns out nice and moist when I use oil but I prefer the flavor when I use butter. Is there a way to get a nice moist chocolate cake from scratch with the equivalent of oil using butter? Should I use extra butter?

My ingredients are: oil, milk, sugar, vanilla, instant coffee, flour, baking soda, eggs and chocolate syrup.

I really want a moist chocolate cake without oil. I prefer butter. :)
Sure, more butter and chocolate syrup. You might also put an extra egg yolk in.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Melted butter may help.

Butter usually makes a slightly less moist cake (butter contains some water compared to oil). Oil will make it more moist and will be softer right out of the fridge, where butter cakes need to be brought closer to room temp to soften up.
Good point!
Old 07-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
I am gonna try that recipe, it looks really good!

Hello, fellow North Carolinian,
I've made tons of different chocolate cakes, and this is way above the rest. Another great one is Cook's Illustrated's Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake.
I haven't gotten around to making whipped ganache yet. It's definitely on my to-try list.

Tags
None