Mom's Oatmeal Pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

forty_caliber

Admiral of the Texas Navy
Moderator Emeritus
This is one of our family favorites. Makes a great weekend breakfast.

OatMeal Pancakes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Mom
Serving Size: 6

Ingredients:

2 cups oatmeal, old fashioned rolled
2 cups buttermilk
2 medium eggs
2 tablespoons corn oil
1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:

On the night before you intend to make pancakes mix the oatmeal and buttermilk in a large bowl. Stir well. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

To prepare for cooking add the eggs, oil, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt to the oatmeal mixture. Mix well with a wire whisk.

Use a 4 oz ladle to control portion size. Fry on hot griddle until bubbly and puffed. Turn and allow 2nd side to brown.

Last edited:
Excuse my ignorance, but can buckwheat flour be substituted? I haven't any of the former, but the latter I have.

Can I do soured milk instead of buttermilk?

I guess you could...not really sure what that is though. The lactic acid in the milk breaks down the oatmeal. So no reason it shouldn't work

Excuse my ignorance, but can buckwheat flour be substituted? I haven't any of the former, but the latter I have.

Can't think of any reason it wouldn't work. Might add some nice flavor too.

Soured milk is just what I generally use as a sub for buttermilk as I never buy buttermilk. Every 1/2 cup of milk gets 1 tsp of lemon juice.

Straight buckwheat will not rise properly, as it has very little gluten in it (gluten free if I recall properly). Buckwheat can be added to a flour pancake mixture in a ratio of 3 parts wheat flour to 1 part buckwheat flour. The buckwheat adds a wonderful flavor to the pancake.

I don't see why you couldn't add buckwheat flour to the oatmeal batter in the same ratio, 1 part buckwheat to 3 parts oatmeal.

I have a question about the oats used. Are we talking about rolled oats, or steel cut oats? I would assume rolled oats; but one never knows until they ask.;)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Soured milk is just what I generally use as a sub for buttermilk as I never buy buttermilk. Every 1/2 cup of milk gets 1 tsp of lemon juice.

I put 1 tblsp cider vinegar in a measuring cup and fill to 1 cup with milk.

But nowadays, if I realize I will need buttermilk the next day, sour som e milk with a culture from sour cream. Buttermilk from the store is "cultured buttermilk" and they use that same lacto bacillus. I don't think you can get real buttermilk - the whey left from churning butter any more. I hated that stuff as a kid. I've never tried drinking cultured buttermilk.

I have a question about the oats used. Are we talking about rolled oats, or steel cut oats? I would assume rolled oats; but one never knows until they ask.;)

Great question. We only keep "Old Fashioned" rolled oats in the house these days. So that's what I use. I've tried with "Quick Cooking" rolled oats in the distant past and it seems like that they change the texture and seem to break down more.

I'll fix the recipe in my database to specify the kind of oats.

Toasting the rolled oats gives them a nice nutty flavor for cookies, bet it would be good for the pancakes, too!

Dh really enjoys pancakes, but this would be a very good replacement for the flour. I'll make these for sure. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Great question. We only keep "Old Fashioned" rolled oats in the house these days. So that's what I use. I've tried with "Quick Cooking" rolled oats in the distant past and it seems like that they change the texture and seem to break down more.

I'll fix the recipe in my database to specify the kind of oats.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom