Monkey bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
MONKEY BREAD

3/4cup butter (do not use margarine)
1cup packed brown sugar
2tablespoons whipping cream
1/2cup coarsely chopped pecans
3 1/2cups Original Bisquick mix
1/2cup milk
2tablespoons granulated sugar
3tablespoons butter, softened (do not use margarine)
1teaspoon vanilla
1egg
1/4cup sugar
1/2teaspoon cinnamon

1.Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 12-cup fluted tube cake pan with cooking spray.
2.In 2-quart saucepan, melt 3/4 cup butter. Add brown sugar and cream; heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 2 minutes; remove from heat. Pour into pan; sprinkle with pecans.
3.In large bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk, granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons butter, the vanilla and egg until soft dough forms. Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
4.In small bowl, mix granulated sugar and cinnamon. Roll each ball in sugar mixture; place randomly in pan. Sprinkle with any remaining sugar mixture.
5.Bake 22 to 28 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Place heatproof serving plate upside down over pan; turn plate and pan over. Remove pan. Serve warm.

img_952850_0_6e1ea90524cfbd785857b716140936e4.jpg

img_952850_1_6f2939a9f4d45e442b7f1be4e8b3ace2.jpg

img_952850_2_a8b3c6d8e155deaca143c429740fa925.jpg

img_952850_3_cc4929e1498ece5d657924862f9ba29c.jpg

img_952850_4_56bebe0bc466e66646e800da14046525.jpg

img_952850_5_a7f8e82d32cef4da21829426ce36fbca.jpg

img_952850_6_9e2589e978ca1a34d2056b5ccafd2c2a.jpg

img_952850_7_913cf69fe0b642a47eaeb2bd7e5b1075.jpg

I used to make a savory, garlic-bread version of this. I'd use frozen bread dough that I'd tear into strips, then dip in garlic butter, put in the pan (sometimes I was broke and just used a pyrex mixing bowl). Baked, et voila! turn upside down, put on a plate in the middle of the table, and everyone grabs a piece, tearing it apart with their fingers. Everyone loved it, and I haven't done it in decades.

I made monkey bread a lot when our kids were home, but it is too much for two people. Maybe I'll make some and take most of it to someone else.

Oooh, lovely. Thank you for posting this recipe.

I heard about monkey bread and googled recipes quite a while ago. Unfortunately all the recipes used Pillsbury biscuits out of a tube, which I don't use. I can make my own substitute for Bisquick, so this recipe is great for me.

I used to make a savory, garlic-bread version of this. I'd use frozen bread dough that I'd tear into strips, then dip in garlic butter, put in the pan (sometimes I was broke and just used a pyrex mixing bowl). Baked, et voila! turn upside down, put on a plate in the middle of the table, and everyone grabs a piece, tearing it apart with their fingers. Everyone loved it, and I haven't done it in decades.

That's a good idea Claire. I'm all for anything that doesn't end up with flour on my counters and floor:ROFLMAO:.

I'm making a note in my cooking notebook and putting frozen bread dough on my grocery list.

Monkey Bread version - 2:
Ingredients:
3 cups bread flour
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. fast acting yeast
2/3 cup water
2 cups, plus 1/4 cup sugar
3 tbs. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter, melted.

Heat water until tepid. Add yeast. When the yeast/water mixture is foaming at the top, pour into the flour along with 1/4 cup sugar. Add 6 tbs cooking oil. Kneed until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.

Combine the cinnamon and sugar together. When the bread has risen, remove enou8gh to make a ball 1/2 the size of a golf ball. Roll in the sugar/cinnamon mixture and place into a deep baking pan with high sides. Make more butter and cinnamon rolls and fill the pan.

Preheat the oven to 350'F. When the rolls have doubled in size, place them into the oven and bake for 50 minutes. Pour any left over sugar/cinnamon mixture over the top and bake another ten minutes. Let cool completely and serve.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I remember hearing that one should not use a springform pan for this, because the sugar would leak out. I would have loved to use my springform bundt pan for this. Anyone have any experience? What if I sealed the bottom edge with a small "snake" of dough?

What about my angel food pan? It's two part, but not spring form.

I want to make this monkey bread tonight, so quick answers appreciated. :chef:

I remember hearing that one should not use a springform pan for this, because the sugar would leak out. I would have loved to use my springform bundt pan for this. Anyone have any experience? What if I sealed the bottom edge with a small "snake" of dough?

What about my angel food pan? It's two part, but not spring form.

I want to make this monkey bread tonight, so quick answers appreciated. :chef:

Just "seal" it with a piece of aluminum foil. On the inside and outside!

My monkey bread was a disaster. I suspect the bisquick substitute. I baked it for 26 minutes and it looked done. The balls were undercooked inside. The outside of each ball tasted good. So, I scooped it all into a souffle dish and put it back in the oven. I checked on it every ten minutes for close to an hour. It didn't get burnt, but it didn't get cooked inside the balls either. Well, some did, but not most. Whole grain wheat flour shouldn't make that big a difference.

I will try spreading them out on a jelly roll pan and baking them some more.

Was I supposed to press down a bit on the balls before baking? They didn't stick together. When I cut a slice all the monkey balls separated. Yes, DH and I are referring to this culinary mess as monkey balls. :LOL:

My monkey bread was a disaster. I suspect the bisquick substitute. I baked it for 26 minutes and it looked done. The balls were undercooked inside. The outside of each ball tasted good. So, I scooped it all into a souffle dish and put it back in the oven. I checked on it every ten minutes for close to an hour. It didn't get burnt, but it didn't get cooked inside the balls either. Well, some did, but not most. Whole grain wheat flour shouldn't make that big a difference.

I will try spreading them out on a jelly roll pan and baking them some more.

Was I supposed to press down a bit on the balls before baking? They didn't stick together. When I cut a slice all the monkey balls separated. Yes, DH and I are referring to this culinary mess as monkey balls. :LOL:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :LOL::LOL:

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the flour change is the culprit.

Monkey Bread is meant to separate...to be eaten by grabbing a cooled ball. It's named Monkey bread, because you are supposed to look like monkeys sitting around and grabbing at it. OOK OOK!:LOL:

As for the baking time...no ideas.

Monkey Bread is meant to separate...to be eaten by grabbing a cooled ball. It's named Monkey bread, because you are supposed to look like monkeys sitting around and grabbing at it. OOK OOK!:LOL:

As for the baking time...no ideas.

Okay, that's what I thought. Lucky Trim's last photo show a slice. When I tried to put a slice on DH's plate, all the balls rolled apart and off the cake serving utensil (what is that called?). Me to DH, "Your balls fell off." :ROFLMAO:

Okay, that's what I thought. Lucky Trim's last photo show a slice. When I tried to put a slice on DH's plate, all the balls rolled apart and off the cake serving utensil (what is that called?). Me to DH, "Your balls fell off." :ROFLMAO:

Armadillo, Roadkill, Monkey Balls :ROFLMAO: Sounds delish.:LOL:
Seems like you have all the food groups covered except for dairy. Waiting for the next episode.

Last edited:
Armadillo, Roadkill, Monkey Balls :ROFLMAO: Sounds delish.:LOL:
Seems like you have all the food groups covered except for dairy. Waiting for the next episode.

My DH doesn't like zucchini, chunks of eggplant, or chunks of tomato that aren't really well cooked, so I don't make ratatouille any more. But I did with the ex. We called it "rat stew". :LOL:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Poor DH!

I just remembered: for dairy there's a coarse term we substitute for curds (rhymes with curds). We use it when the milk or cream has gone off and we don't notice until after it's in the tea or coffee. "Oh phooey, there's milk ____ in my tea."

Last edited:
I just remembered: for dairy there's a coarse term we substitute for curds (rhymes with curds). We use it when the milk or cream has gone off and we don't notice until after it's in the tea or coffee. "Oh phooey, there's milk ____ in my tea."

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Yup, that would do it, but you need a dairy item that is actually edible:LOL:

Thanks for the laughs. Feels good.

The original recipe I used didn't make "balls" of dough, but rather sort of "noodles" (now you have to remember it was easily 30 years ago). You took the dough, and sort of rolled it between you hands until you had something 1-2 inches long, then squished (that's a very scientific, technical term) in the butter sauce. and baked. So you got these odd-shaped, crooked pieces of bread.

Back
Top Bottom