Muffin Specialty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
These are two great ones!

Rum Raisin Muffins

1 c Raisins
1 c Dark rum
2 c Flour
1/2 c Sugar
1 1/2 ts Baking powder
1/2 ts Baking soda
1/4 ts Salt
1/4 ts Nutmeg
3/4 Stick butter
1 c Sour cream
1 Egg
3/4 ts Vanilla

Preheat oven to 375F
1.Soak raisins in rum overnight. Drain and reserve rum.
2.Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in butter until coarse meal. Mix in raisins.
3.Whisk sour cream egg, vanilla and 1/4 c rum until smooth. Make a well in dry ingredients and pour in wet mixture. Mix until just combined.
4.Fill muffins tins 3/4 full and bake until browned on top, about 20 minutes. Remove from tins and cool on a wire rack.

Sweet Onion Muffins

1 Egg
1/4 c Sugar
1/3 cVegetable oil
1/2 c Chopped sweet onion
3/4 c Milk
3/4 c Grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 c Self-rising flour
1/3 c Chopped pecans
1 c Rolled oats

Preheat oven to 400F
1.In a large bowl whisk together the egg, oil and milk. Add flour, oats, and sugar.
2.Stir the mixture until it is just combined. Fold in the onion, cheese, and pecans.
3.Spoon mixture onto buttered muffin tins, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden. Turn the muffins out onto racks.

kansas, I knew I could count on you for something savory!!!

(and those rum raisins will be something I will make for ME!)

Bran Muffins

Erik said:
I really am simple...Bran Muffins, with whatever extra I feel like putting in at the moment.

Erik,
I'm with you! All these recipes sound GREAT! I'll take a stab at a couple of them later.
I have been using the recipe off the All Bran cereal box for years. For a while they had a low cal one that didn't use and oil, just apple sauce. Now they are back to 1/4 C oil and no applesauce.

Since a bran muffin and yogurt is my wife's breakfast, every morning, I started "juicing" them up.

With the apple sauce I add two bananas, nuts and rasins.
I always double the recipe.
Which brings up a point that has bugged me for a long time.

How precise does one have to be with the quanities in baking?

Here in my muffin recipe, I have added items that are not included in the published recipe. So, I have to compensate with extra flour. I'm no where exact in measuring the flour or All Bran. If the consistancy don't look right after mixing I will dump in another 1/2 C applesauce or a squirt of milk.
I also add All Spice, Cinnamon, and vanilla, which are not called for in the recipe.
That's about all the enhancments I make other than I use 1/2 brown and 1/2 white sugar.

The kicker is that they turn out GREAT!

One of these days I may try a batch IAW the published recipe!

Charlie

I made Kansasgirl's Rum Raisin Muffins. I used golden raisins and Captain Morgan's spiced rum. I used the golden raisins out of preference. I used to hate raisins baked in anything, but recently have acquired a taste for them. I used the Captain Morgan's because that was the rum I had in the cupboard. :ermm: The muffins turned out great. I baked the first pan in regular size muffin cups and the rest in giant muffin cups. This recipe is definitely a keeper. :)

Here's a muffin recipe I've made a couple of times, back in my single days. I ought to make them again.

Rich Delicious Orange Tea Muffins
Yield: 8 – 9 large muffins

½ c Sugar
2 t Baking powder
½ t Salt
½ c (one stick) Butter or margarine, melted
½ c Fresh orange juice
2 Eggs
1 ½ c Flour
Grated zest of 1 orange
For the topping:
Sugar cubes
Orange juice

Preheat oven to 375°F, then grease or spray muffin pans. Combine first 4 ingredients. Melt butter, take off heat and stir in orange juice, rind, and eggs. Beat.
Stir dry mix into wet mix and blend until just moistened. Spoon into pans, soak 1 sugar cube in orange juice for each muffin and place on top of batter. Bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until done.

Many years ago, I went on a "binge" collecting muffin recipes. I have over 60 on file, but I've only tried a few of them. Some of them are the "diet" variety, involving such things as bran, applesauce, and skim milk. I can live with the bran and skim milk, but that applesauce gave my muffins a really odd smell when I baked them.

soaking the sugar cubes in orange juice before topping the batter with them sounds like a fantastic idea!!!

:chef:

Sending along two AWESOME bran muffins...

Ultimate Bran Muffins
1 1/4 c AP flour
1/4 c Whole wheat flour
1 1/4 ts Baking powder
1/2 ts Baking soda
3/4 ts Salt
1 1/4 ts Ground cinnamon
3/4 ts Ground allspice
1/2 ts Nutmeg, freshly ground
7 tb Unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c Dark brown sugar, plus 2 tb Dark brown sugar
2 Eggs
2 1/2 ts Vanilla extract
3 tb Molasses
1/4 c Sour cream
1 c Buttermilk, plus 3 tb Buttermilk
1 1/2 c Wheat bran
1/2 c Raisins
1/2 c Nuts (walnuts or pecans)

Preheat oven to 375F with the rack in the middle. Grease muffin tins.
1.Mix flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg in medium bowl; set aside.
2.Beat butter in a large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add brown sugar, increase speed, and cream until combined and fluffy.
3.Add eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly before adding the next.
4.Beat in vanilla, molasses, and sour cream until thoroughly combined and creamy.
5.Beat in buttermilk gradually, and then half the flour mixture until combined.
6. Beat in remaining flour mixture until incorporated and slightly curdled looking, scraping the sides of the bowl. Stir in bran, raisins, and nuts.
7.Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake about 25 minutes or until muffins tet done. Do not overbake. Cool on a wire rack about 5 minutes. Remove muffins from tin and serve warm.

Maple Bran Muffins
3/4 c Wheat bran
1/2 c Milk
1/2 c Maple syrup
1 Egg, slightly beaten
1/4 c Oil
1 1/4 c Whole wheat flour
3 ts Baking powder
1/2 ts Salt
1/3 c Nuts, chopped (walnuts or pecans)
Glaze:
Chopped walnuts
1 tb Butter, soft
1/2 c Confectioners sugar
1 tb Maple syrup

Preheat oven to 400F. Grease muffin tins.
1.Combine bran, milk and maple syrup. Mix in egg and oil.
2.Combine flour, baking soda, salt and nuts. Add bran mixture, stirring until just moistened.
3.Divide batter into greased muffin tins. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
4.For the glaze, combine ingredients, stirring to blend, and spread over warm muffins.

Whoa. Maple bran muffins sounds pretty close to heaven to me. Thanks kansasgirl.

Allen, love the orange muffin recipe. Copied that one for Mothers Day brunch!

anyone have the one for chocolate marble muffins with cream cheese?
(yeah, I know, more of a cupcake, but if you say the word "muffin" it doesn't sound like your eating something so dessert-y)

jkath said:
anyone have the one for chocolate marble muffins with cream cheese?
(yeah, I know, more of a cupcake, but if you say the word "muffin" it doesn't sound like your eating something so dessert-y)

Here ya' go, jkath! I have several but this one always seems to get really good reviews:

Black Bottom Cupcakes
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 1/3 cup white sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line muffin tins with paper cups or lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, egg, 1/3 cup sugar and 1/8 teaspoon salt until light and fluffy. Stir in the chocolate chips and set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, 1 cup sugar, cocoa, baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Make a well in the center and add the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Stir together until well blended. Fill muffin tins 1/3 full with the batter and top with a dollop of the cream cheese mixture.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom