Muffin Specialty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
muffins.jpg

I'm bringing muffins for the teachers at my son's school on Monday morning to kick off teacher appreciation week.

:chef: What is that one muffin recipe you make that others rave about?

The buttermilk makes these muffins nice and moist. The cranberries can be omitted. Just increase the buttermilk and oats to 1 1/2 cups each. Decrease the brown sugar to 1/2 cup and bake as directed.

Oatmeal Cranberry

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Mix and allow to soak for 10 minutes:

1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup buttermilk

In a large bowl combine

2 eggs
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
Rolled oats mixture as prepared above
1 teaspoon vanilla

In a smaller bowl combine well:

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tablepsooon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped

Combine wet and dry mixtures and fold together gently until just mixed. Fold in cranberries. Spoon into prepared pan. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on rack.

Very few people make muffins here. They are available at bakeries etc, but they are not the same as in the States. People always rave about any muffins I make and are amazed that I go to so much trouble. Little do they know how easy it is.

I tend to make either carrot muffins or chocolate chip muffins. I like apples ones as well.

pam

I like to use the cranberry bread recipe on the cranberry bag and make them into muffins. But anything with cranberries, oranges or lemon poppyseed are great. i don't like muffins that should be called cupcakes!!!

Cheese Danish Muffins

Hi!

Here's a great recipe. I'd like to credit the source, but I copied it off a bulletin board and am not sure where it came from.

Cheese Danish Muffins

4 oz cream cheese -- softened
2 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 egg
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tsp grated lemon zest
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin. In a bowl, cream together cream cheese, sugar, and lemon juice. Set aside.

In another bowl, beat egg lightly with a fork; add milk, butter, and zest.

In another bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add egg mixture; stir just until blended.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin, filling half full. Place 1 Tbsp cream cheese mixture over each; top with remaining batter. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.

Yield:
"12 muffins"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wilbur!
That sounds like the ones I buy at the bakery - YUM!!! thank you!
and by the way, Welcome to Discuss cooking!!!

Sierra - those sound so delicious - especially with the oats!

I think maybe I may need to use these 2 recipes for Mon Morning...
but feel free to keep posting guys!

Wilbur, those Cream Cheese Danish sound awesome! Thanks!

I don't make muffins very often, but I have quite a few recipes. What I need is one of those silicone muffin pans, but they just give me the heebie jeebies.

Here's a favorite:

MORNING GLORY MUFFINS

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1 1/2 cups shredded apples
3/4 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable oil (I use peanut or canola)
1 teaspoon vanilla

IN medium bowl combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. IN separate bowl toss together carrots, apples, coconut, and pecans. Stir in eggs, oil, and vanilla.

ADD wet mixture to dry and stir until blended.

FILL tins 3/4 full and bake 18-20 minutes in 375 degree oven. Makes 12 large muffins or 18 regular size muffins (not mini).

HanArt said:

I don't make muffins very often, but I have quite a few recipes. What I need is one of those silicone muffin pans, but they just give me the heebie jeebies.

LOL. Ah, don't let them scare you. I just bought a silicone muffin tin a few months ago, the kind with the rack, and love it. I made the mistake of washing it in the dishwasher, though. The next batches of whatever I made tasted like dish soap. So rinse by hand! Other than that, the silicone tins are great. I also bought a silicone tube pan and can't imagine how I lived without it.

I'm kind of a plain-Jane when it comes to muffins too. =P

Here's one that I make most often, it came off of the box of Hodgson Mill Wheat Bran. The batter keeps nicely in the fridge for two to three weeks and makes about two dozen total, so you can make a few here and there as the mood strikes you:

Bran Muffins
3 c unprocessed wheat bran
1 c boiling water
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c butter
2 1/2 c ap flour
2 t baking soda
1 t salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 c buttermilk

Mix 1 c wheat bran with 1 c boiling water; stir and let water absorb into the bran.

In a seperate bowl blend sugar and butter. Measure and combine flour, baking soda and salt. Combine the moist bran with the beaten eggs, the remaining 2 c of bran, buttermilk, blended suger-butter mixture, flour, soda and salt. Stir until well blended.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spoon batter into lightly greased muffin tins. Bake 15 minutes.

Here is one other muffin recipe that is unique. They're really pretty once baked and taste good too:

Blueberry-Raspberry Muffins

2 c flour
2 t baking soda
1 t salt
4 large eggs
2 c sour cream
2 c light brown sugar
2 c old fashioned rolled oats
1 c blueberrys
1 c raspberries
2 T sugar

Beat the eggs with the sour cream until thoroughly combined. In a medium pan over medium heat, melt the butter and brown sugar. Cool slightly & then beat into egg mixture. Stir in the oats. Fold in the flour mixture (Flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt). Very gently fold in the berries.

Fill the muffin tins 2/3 full. Drop a generous pinch of sugar on the top of the muffins. (I like to use the big sugar crystals instead of regular table suguar, because it looks nice; both taste the same though!)

Bake for 25-28 minutes @ 350 until edges are medium brown and tops are firm. Cool for five minutes and then remove from pan. Finish cooling them on a rack.

Makes 2 dozen

:heart:
Z

Okay, Wilbur, I just made your muffins.
(actually I made a double batch)
I experimented a bit, and in some I put abut 2 tsp of the "filling" and in the others, I put 2 tsp. inside and another 2 tsp. on the top. Both kinds are good, but I like the latter better. They puffed up higher too.

Thanks so much for this recipe!

Apple Pumpkin Muffins

2-1/2 cups AP flour
2 cups sugar
1 T pumpkin pie spice
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup veg oil
2 cups finely chopped, peeled apples

Streusel:
1/4 cup sugar
2 T AP flour
1/2 t ground cinnamon
4 t cold butter

Combine dry ingredients. In another bowl, combine wet stuff and then stir it into dry until moistened. Fold in apples. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Make streusel in another bowl, cutting in butter last; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes.

These are really good for breakfast.

jkath said:
Okay, Wilbur, I just made your muffins.
(actually I made a double batch)
I experimented a bit, and in some I put abut 2 tsp of the "filling" and in the others, I put 2 tsp. inside and another 2 tsp. on the top. Both kinds are good, but I like the latter better. They puffed up higher too.

Thanks so much for this recipe!

Glad they worked out for you! Next time I make them, I'll try your variation.

"Just for lunch orange muffins"

Just for Lunch is a restaurant in Memphis, TN

1 naval orange, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup pecans, chopped
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup corn or safflower oil
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 t. orange zest
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/4 cup orange liqueur

Cut orange into bite-size pieces. Using the steel blade of a food processor, chop pecans and set aside with oranges. Blend sugar, oil and eggs in the food processor. Sift dry ingredients and add to the processor bowl. Process with off-on bursts only until moist. Add marmalade and orange liqueur and process with off-ons again until smooth. Add chopped nuts and oranges. Spoon into buttered muffin tins.

Bake at 375 until muffins are light gold in color, or about 15 minutes.
Yields: 2 dozen

HanArt said:

Here's a favorite:

MORNING GLORY MUFFINS

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
1 1/2 cups shredded apples
3/4 cup coconut
1/2 cup chopped pecans
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup vegetable oil (I use peanut or canola)
1 teaspoon vanilla

IN medium bowl combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. IN separate bowl toss together carrots, apples, coconut, and pecans. Stir in eggs, oil, and vanilla.

ADD wet mixture to dry and stir until blended.

FILL tins 3/4 full and bake 18-20 minutes in 375 degree oven. Makes 12 large muffins or 18 regular size muffins (not mini).

These sound yummy!! Thanks for posting the recipe!! :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom