Multiple tiers on fondant cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zaco

Assistant Cook
I saw a tutorial on how to make a topsy turvy cake. They showed that they put one cake directly on top of the other, without any cardboard in between or anything. I've tried that a couple times, and it works OK, but the fondant on the bottom layer that is in between the two cakes gets soft and mushy. Honestly I think it tastes better that way lol, but it's not very attractive.
So, should there be a separation between layers?

Most definitely without a doubt, unequivocally YYYYEEEESSSS!

You can get away with it for a two tier cake, specially if the top one is only six inches or so, but it can effect the look and also makes cutting a pain. Anything over two tiers - I wouldn't even try it.

For my 3 - 5 tier wedding cakes I use cake board (cardboard or plastic, depending on the design). I use dowels with cardboard in the lower tiers (if I want to raise or slightly tilt the next tier I use plastic plates and tubes). For something like a topsy turvy that is three or more layers I stick another dowel straight down the centre.

Now, this is me. But I think you will find other cake designers/artists do much the same thing. For every video or instruction site that says not to, you will find one or two that say it is definitely necessary.

Hope that helps!:chef:

Back
Top Bottom