"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 03-05-2008, 05:23 PM   #11
Head Chef

Do what I do when baking. When in doubt, add more butter....

Old 03-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Don't know how dry your cakes are but this will moisten cakes and add more flavor or make without flavoring. This will give you some idea.
Moisten & Flavor the Cake With This Simple Syrup Recipe | Recipezaar

Old 03-05-2008, 08:48 PM   #13
Master Chef

This may sound weird and all, but ever since we started using organic, vegetarian fed cage free eggs our cakes have been turning out much much better. Moister as well as tastier. The eggs themselves seem to have more whites to them. When we cracked open a generic x-large white egg and a veggie cage free large brown egg open next to each other, it seemed you got more with the veggie cage free egg and in fact it made the brown cage free egg look jumbo sized next to the grade A x-large generic eggs.
Many of the recipes we use are from a Victorian cake book, so back then they probably got their eggs by walk out to the chicken coop. In contrast the box cake mixes are 'designed' around todays commercial eggs. I wonder if this is some of the difference we are experiencing here?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

All the suggestion here are great and if all else fails, brush a sugar syrup on the layers before frosting so that it will soak into the cake and moisten it.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:37 PM   #15
Everymom

Post a recipe that you have used and maybe we can troubleshoot it. I suspect that the issue is as many folks have suggested, not enough fat or eggs. I think if you just add one more egg to your cakes you might do well. Just for a test, try this chocolate cake recipe. Its a very heavy moist cake. Don't add the extra egg to this recipe though. Try it out and see if it turns out moist or dry. If its dry, then I think we will have to suspect your oven temp or over cooking as the issue. I think Uncle Bob is right though, your boxed cakes would be dry if your oven were the issue.

Tags
None