"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 03-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
Sous Chef

My cakes are too dry!

I've been cooking/baking for about 5 years now (thanks food network!). I really enjoy the baking, and I've taught myself some decorating techniques-nothing too elaborate mind you, but over the years I started making "themed" birthday cakes-you know, cartoon characters, rock band logos, etc, and have developed quite a knack for fondant. but......
Why do my cakes always come out so dry? I've taken to using box cakes, and they come out perfect everytime!
Its not a big deal I guess, cake is cake-but its really starting to bother me!
Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Old 03-04-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Master Chef

Too much flour or leavening (baking soda/baking powder) was used.
Not enough shortening or sugar was used.
The cake was over-baked - the oven temperature was too high and/or the baking time was too long.

Old 03-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
Head Chef

There are so many variables to cake baking. Your eggs may be smaller than what the recipe used, it may be the way you measure your flour, your oven may be running a little warmer than it should. I would try using about 1/2 cup less flour, adding a little more liquid, or turning my oven down 25 degrees. Hope one of these help. You might also post one of your recipes, so someone can see if they notice anything "out of line".
Old 03-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Thanks. I think you both maybe on the mark-I've tried a number of recipes and the result is always the same. The one exception, for what its worth, seems to be bundt cakes. Trouble is, I've got another childs birthday coming up and its awfully hard to make "Stewie Griffin" from a bundt cake!!!
Old 03-04-2008, 11:50 PM   #5
Master Chef

Also, try adding a bit more fat (butter, oil, shortening or whatever is called for) also do check your oven temp as already has been suggested.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:36 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Are you using regular sugar in the full recipe amount?
Old 03-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
Sous Chef

After several failures, I sought out recipes that included vegetable oil in the
recipe, due to the fact that I have several bundt cake recipes that turn out fabulous everytime, and the one common ingredient that they all had was the inclusion of vegatable oil. But a few weeks ago. I made a "checkerboard" cake for my grandsons 7th birthday.

I had several recipes to choose from; I went with the one that included vegatable oil, and called for a full 10 minutes less on the baking time. I checked it with a wooden skewer (should I be doing that?) and it came out clean about 3 minutes early. Thinking I finally got it, I decorated the cake. But when I cut it-it was the same old story. Last week, I made a birthday cake for my daughter-used a box marble cake and it came out perfectly.

It had'nt occured to me until now that the oven may be off-its at least 20 years old.

And to address Andy M., yes, I am using regular sugar in the full recipe amount-should I be? Like I've mentioned, I'm fairly new at this, and there are no doubt lots of tricks that only come with experience.

Sorry to go on & on, but I would like to thank each and everyone one of you for chiming in-I sincerely appreciate it. After only one day I can see that I'm really going to enjoy DC-thanks for letting me be a part of it!!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke king View Post

It had'nt occured to me until now that the oven may be off-its at least 20 years old.
Do you have an oven thermometer ? My old oven used to burn everything, it was off by 30 degrees. Finally ended up getting a new oven , couldn't find a replacement thermostat.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke king View Post
...And to address Andy M., yes, I am using regular sugar in the full recipe amount-should I be?...

Yes, you should. If you had been subbing another sweetner or using less, that could cause dryness.

Checking for doneness with a wood skewer or toothpick is the usual method and should work. When you tested it and it was "done", it may also have been done ten minutes earlier. No way to tell.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke king
Last week, I made a birthday cake for my daughter-used a box marble cake and it came out perfectly.

Just a thought. If the oven was the problem..wouldn't it effect the box cake the same way??

Check flour type...freshness...addtional oil might help. Or Hey! Post your recipe and I'm sure someone here can give you some excellent tips!

Have Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None