My go-to yellow cake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah

Head Chef
yahoooooo...i finally found a fabulous yellow cake recipe,it had been with me for a while,i dont even remember where i got it from!tried it at last yesterday and i'm sooooo happy with the results.
I've tried many yellow cake recipes before and was always disappointed,this recipe's a winner.And its ridiculously easy.

BASIC YELLOW CAKE

2 cups cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
1/2 c butter,softened
1 c sugar
3 large eggs(room temp)
3/4 c milk

Preheat oven to 350.Grease and flour two,9 inch round cake pans.
In a bowl,combine flour,baking powder and salt with wire whisk.
Combine butter and sugar until light n fluffy.Beat eggs,one at a time.Slowly add flour,alternately with milk.At the end of addition,batter should be smooth.Divide between two pans.Bake 20 to 25 minutes.Cool five minutes in pans,then invert onto a rack and cool completely before frosting.

I did make some changes though.I didnt have cake flour,so used all-purpose flour but decreased quantity,i used 1-1/2 cups instead of 2 cups.and i sifted the flour twice,once before measuring and then with the salt n baking powder.I did add a couple of sprinkles of yellow food color too.Rest of the instructions,i followed meticulously.I baked my layers for just 15 minutes each instead of the time told in the recipe,as they were already done.
This cake was great.It didnt rise as much as a boxed yellow cake,but it was ALMOST as light and fluffy as a boxed one.Very soft and moist.Crumb was very very fine.I used a fluffy chocolate frosting and my family loved it.

Thanks Sarah - I'lll have to give this variation a go. One question - the recipe looks similar to what we'd call victoria sponge here - would this cake suit being filled with buttercream and jam?

Thanks Sarah - I'lll have to give this variation a go. One question - the recipe looks similar to what we'd call victoria sponge here - would this cake suit being filled with buttercream and jam?

i dont think filling it with jam and frosting with butter cream should be a problem!As i stated,its a very soft and moist cake,not quite but close to being a sponge cake,instead of being like a dense butter cake or pound cake.So it should be equally yummy with jam any frosting u choose.:)

Back
Top Bottom