My Second Try at Poundcake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aruzinsky

Washing Up
poundcake2.jpg

My first try was described here: http://www.discusscooking.com/viewtopic.php?t=4059&start=0

In my second try, I modified the recipe with three goals in mind, moister, less dense, and different flavor.

A. I cut the recipe in half so that only one loaf pan was required.

B. I increased the eggs from 5 to 6.

C. I added part of the sugar to the egg whites so that the whipped egg whites would be less stiff and easily folded without persistent lumps.

D. After folding the eggwhites into the batter, I did not beat the batter because it defeats the purpose of folding.

E. I replaced the vanilla with 2 tbs mastiha and 5 drops hazelnut flavor oil.

F. I minimized the baking time by periodically testing with a wooden skewer. It was done at 1 hr 5 min.

To summarize:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. 6 egg whites
2. 77 g sugar
3. 6 egg yolks
4. 150 g sugar
5. 2 tbs mastiha and 5 drops hazelnut flavor oil.
6. 0.5 lb butter
7. 0.5 lb cake flour

In first bowl. beat 1. until stiff, add 2. and continue to beat 5 min.. In second bowl, beat together 3., 4. and 5. In third bowl, beat together 6. and 7. until creamy. Add mixture of second bowl to third and beat 5 min. Fold egg whites in first bowl into batter of third bowl until there are no lumps of egg white. Pour into waxpaper lined loaf pan. Bake at 325 deg F for 1 hr 5 mins..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I succeeded in all my goals except the hazelnut flavor was too weak. Next time, I will use 15 drops of hazelnut flavor oil. Nevertheless, this tasted pretty damn good, albeit not like poundcake.

I just got up this morning and this sure looks good. I can imagine this with strawberries and whipped cream!!! :LOL:

the cake looks goregous!!!!!!!

i was thinking of making a poundcake tomorrow. now i think i will for sure!

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Back
Top Bottom