My Volcano Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
I have made two volcanoes in my life. The first was a 6 foot high one made out of wood, chicken wire and papermache. It was a "prop" for a week long kids day camp and on the fifth day we made it spew dry ice and I had a sound affect. It scared a couple of little kids who thought it was a real volcano....oops!:ohmy:

The second is this one. It is a 12 inch base and 2 ft. high. The cake is chocolate with raspberry and chocolate buttercream fillings between the layers. The outside was covered in chocolate buttercream and chocolate fondant. I dusted it with edible black dust for that ashy look, then drizzeled ganach and raspberry "lava" all over. There are fondant lava rocks on the bottom and actually weighs a ton.

This was a birthday cake for my father's cleaning lady while he was here. She and I became friends and I made a pineapple upside down cake for her last year. In fact that was the last cake I did until this one.

I haven't heard how it went over at the party yet, but she was very happy when she picked it up.

Attachments

• VolcanoFront.jpg
    VolcanoFront.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 249
  • VolcanoBack.jpg
    VolcanoBack.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 288
LP, that is so creative! And I bet it was delicious too, what with all that chocolate and the raspberry. :yum: I think I gained a pound just reading about it. :ermm:

When I saw the thread title, I was thinking Lava cakes. What's the big deal. Every cheap restaurant and even some pizza deliveries nuke them up on demand.

Whoa. Yours is pretty creative and decadant. I think a big bowl of ice cream alongside, and I wouldn't move away from the table for a long time. :yum:

That looks wonderful! I'm sure it tasted great too! Job well done!:clap:

Great job! I'm calling Richard Dreyfuss; he'll be envious. (Bet some of these nice kids on DC weren't even born back in 1977. If so, they should rent Close Encounters of the Third Kind to see him build Devil's Tower out of mashed potatoes. Not half as much fun as your own volcano cake, chocolate - with lava, yet. :pig:

Thank you all for your kind remarks. :)

Apparently it was the hit of the party and now her friends want me to make THEM cakes for their birthdays. I will pick and choose what orders I take on with my health and time management but it is nice to know that people think I am good.

Lizzie, I never thought of the Close Encounters connection (one of my all time favourite movies) until I was putting the finishing touches on it and TB came in to my studio with the theme song coming out of his phone! :LOL:

Great job! I'm calling Richard Dreyfuss; he'll be envious. (Bet some of these nice kids on DC weren't even born back in 1977. If so, they should rent Close Encounters of the Third Kind to see him build Devil's Tower out of mashed potatoes. Not half as much fun as your own volcano cake, chocolate - with lava, yet. :pig:

that's what I was thinking too! That cake looks great. I bet it was a lot of fun eating it

Wow is all I can say! What an innovative creation! Im sure it tastes as good as it looks :)An explosion in your mouth(excuse the pun,lol) I'm sure the children must've enjoyed the mess!

Back
Top Bottom