My Wife's 30th Birthday Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yuchtman

Assistant Cook
Hi, my wife Birthday is coming. she's the "pastry chef" of the family and friends, but lucky for her, I learned some things from her.
Anyway, she really loves chocolate and amarena cherry so here's what i thought:
layer of sponge cake, amarena cherry sauce (cherries, wine and sugar) chocolate mousse, another layer of sponge cake with sauce, Diplomat cream and amarena cherries on top.
and now for my questions:
1. how's it sounds? good? too much?
2. the plan is to take her for a weekend and have some sort of surprise party when we're back so i need to plan when to prepare everything. we're going on Friday and the cake is supposed to be eaten on Saturday.
I thought of preparing the sponge cake, cherry sauce and chocolate mousse on Thursday and build the bottom layers and put it in the Freezer. and then to prepare the Diplomat cream on Friday morning, save it in the Refrigerator, and build the rest on Saturday (after we'll arrive home).
does this sounds like a good plan? is it better to just make the pastry cream on Friday and mixed it with the whipped cream on Saturday? can the cake and the mousse wait for two days?

sorry it was so long, but I'll put the recipe if it will be good as a repayment :yum:

thanks a lot.

I thought i will never get a reply :)
It was pretty good, although i thought it will be better.
I had a stupid mistake while making the diplomat cream (used sugar powder instead of Cornstarch) so the top layer was just Whipped cream and cherries.
but if you don't do this mistake and have a good recipe for sponge cake and chocolate mousse it will be great (just put a lot of amarena cherry sauce on the cake).
enjoy

Good for you Yutch,your invention sounds like the retro fav over here the Black Forest Gateux.

Back
Top Bottom