Natural red food dye for Red Velvet cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redonion

Assistant Cook
Hi all, Do you use natural red food dye for Red Velvet cake? If you do, what do you use? I had seen some recipes use beets, Is there any other options?

If you use a traditional recipe for red velvet cake it will include vinegar. A chemical reaction between the vinegar and the other ingredients will give the chocolate a reddish coloring.

If you must have a redder red, food coloring is the way to go.

What are the ingredients, SLoB? The nutrition facts panel on the page is too blurry to read.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Discuss Cooking mobile app

You will notice that the ingredients list says PLANT extractions?
No, actually I didn't notice. But, I wasn't commenting on the ingredients you listed. If I had been I probably would have noticed. I was just mentioning it because we are discussing natural red food colourings. I apologize that I didn't make it more obvious that I was not commenting on your post.

Last edited:
I decided to use an Asian natural red food dye called Red Yeast, the cake turned out with a brilliant red color. I'm happy with the result. Will post a pic of the cake soon.

I use beet juice, but have found an even better alternative at the health food store - granulated beet juice. You just dissolve it in hot water and add it to your cake batter. It gives a nice flavour (not like beets at all but rich) too.

Back
Top Bottom