Need cake help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

istylit71

Assistant Cook
I've been making Black Magic Cake for years, but recently I've begun having problems with my cake sinking in the middle. I thought I was using too much baking soda, but I was extra careful this time and it sank again anyway. I've traced the problem to my cocoa powder. I've recently started using Wilbur Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder. (years ago it was sold under the "Ideal Cocoa" brand here in PA.) The flavor is much better than Hershey's. Anyway, my question is: If I want to use Dutched cocoa, do I cut out the baking soda, or add something acidic, like buttermilk instead of regular milk? Just in case, here's the recipe I use:
2 c. flour
3/4 c. cocoa
2 c. sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1/2 c oil
2 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 c. milk
1 c strong black coffee
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Jen

Gosh Jen, I don't know. I think I'd like to try your recipe maybe even tomorrow and then send it off to my mothers assisted living house with her so I don't indulge too much myself. I will tell you from looking at the recipe that to me, it does look dense, that may be why it's slumping in the middle. I will cut the coffee by 1/2 when I do it and I have 5 kinds of cocoa powders, I'll be using my dutch one too, it's got a girl on the box is all I know without looking.

Back
Top Bottom