Need help, falling cheesecake crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Casual Cook

Assistant Cook
Hello,

I baking cheese cakes in a spring form pan. The crust on the first attempt partially collpased and was thin, but at least there was crust. :huh:

On attempts two and three, the entire crust failed to adhere to the side of the spring form pan and just collapsed on the bottom. :wacko:

Does anybody have any suggestions to mae the crust adhere better?:cool:

Also.... Though I placed it on a rack to cool and covered it with a pot, there was a noticable identation in the center of the cooled cheese cake.

Anybody know any neat tricks to minimize the indentation?;)

Thanks in advance,

John

Do you mean that when you took the ring of the pan off, the sides crumbled off? Or when you baked the crust before you filled it the sides crumbled on? I'm confused ... The crust needs to be really really pressed on the bottom and up the sides. DH uses the bottom of one of my metal measuring cups.

The only time we've had cheese cake fall in the middle was when it was under baked. Is that the problem?

Did you use graham crackers, sugar and butter? Did you bake the crust?

Overbeating the cheesecake filling in the final stages and underbaking can cause the center to sink.

The crust collapses because of not using enough butter to hold it together. Use extra melted butter and then refrigerate it for half an hour or so before filling and/or baking.

The sides should be thicker at the bottom and taper slightly toward the top.

Last edited:
As Selkie said, make sure to use enough butter to hold it together and after forming the crust and before filling it, put in the freezer while you prepare the filling. I generally use 1/4C butter to 2C crumbs - but I will add more butter bit by bit if I don't think it's holding. I 've never had a crust fall if I put it in the freezer before baking. Make sure your cheesecake is cooled down before taking the springform off. I don't know what causes it to fall in the middle - I've never had one to do that.

Just made a pineapple cheescake that my husband ate almost all of by himself - I got one measly slice.

I just made a graham cracker crust a couple of days ago. I misread the ingredient list and put in only half the butter called for in the recipe. While it tasted good that crust just would not stay together. It is definately a lack of butter thing. Hope your next one is better.

I do make baked cheese cake but I only use a digestive biscuit base, for all sweet tarts I use pate sucree, I line my tin leaving the pastry to hang over the edge of the tin ( let the pastry rest and do not stretch to fit) prick and blind bake then trim the edge, fill and bake.

Do you mean that when you took the ring of the pan off, the sides crumbled off? Or when you baked the crust before you filled it the sides crumbled on? I'm confused ... The crust needs to be really really pressed on the bottom and up the sides. DH uses the bottom of one of my metal measuring cups.

Many thank yous to everyone

It collapsed when it was baking. I am going to try everything: more pressing, extra butter and chilling before pressing.
Overbeating the cheesecake filling in the final stages and underbaking can cause the center to sink.
I will keep that in mind as well. For another pastry, I thought my oven was running hot so for the cheese cake, I used the minimum baking time.

Last edited:
Many thank yous to everyone

It collapsed when it was baking. I am going to try everything: more pressing, extra butter and chilling before pressing.

I will keep that in mind as well. For another pastry, I thought my oven was running hot so for the cheese cake, I used the minimum baking time.

Don't chill it before you press, after and before you blind (empty, just the crust) bake it.

DH is responsible for knowing when ours are done and I know he uses the bake time just as a starting point. About 10 minutes before the recommended time, he starts jiggling the pan. Most times, it takes more than the directions recommend.

Use a water bath! It works sooo good! don't cook over 325 degrees, cool very slowly (open oven door till its room temp) maybe use parchment paper if it's sticking to the pan...or if it's just crumbling just use more butter :)

You need to use enough melted butter so that the crust stays impact and doesn't crack.

Use a water bath! It works sooo good! don't cook over 325 degrees, cool very slowly (open oven door till its room temp) maybe use parchment paper if it's sticking to the pan...or if it's just crumbling just use more butter :)

Can you use a water bath with a spring form pan? Doesn't the water leak in? Or do you use some other kind of pan?

Can you use a water bath with a spring form pan? Doesn't the water leak in? Or do you use some other kind of pan?

I wrap my springform pan with two layers of heavy duty foil (the really wide one, so there are no seems) then place that into the water bath.

I swear by the waterbath method, never had a cracked cheescake this way. I also cook low and slow and don't overbake (make sure that it only bakes to a maximum of 160 degrees Fahrenheit). This makes a super creamy cheesecake.

If you are ever in the market for a new springform pan, look for the non-stick Wilton with the bumpy bottom! After chilling the cheesecake comes right off the base without needing parchment. I have some flat bottom ones and they don't release nearly as well as the bumpy bottom ones.

I wrap my springform pan with two layers of heavy duty foil (the really wide one, so there are no seems) then place that into the water bath.

I swear by the waterbath method, never had a cracked cheescake this way. I also cook low and slow and don't overbake (make sure that it only bakes to a maximum of 160 degrees Fahrenheit). This makes a super creamy cheesecake.

Time to buy some extra wide aluminium foil. Great tip.

Back
Top Bottom