Need Help with Red Velvet Cake in Convection Oven...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pklskl

Assistant Cook
I know that my thermal oven is not calibrated correctly so I decided to try the convection oven for a Red Velvet Cake. I set my temperature for the same temp as when I use the thermal oven but set the time for the low end of the time range. The cake looked great while it was cooking. It was rising and the pans were filled nicely and evenly. However, the middle of the cake sank in and was not done at the end of the cooking time. I set the oven for another 10 minutes. It is done but the middle of the cake is less than a half inch thick and the outer portion is about an inch and a half. Any suggestion as to what to do or how to do it? I'm getting really frustrated with my Red Velvet Cakes. It took me a long time to figure out that my thermal oven's temperature was not correct and now I can't make the convection cook a pretty cake either. HELP!!!!

pklskl,

Sorry about your oven/cake issue, I had similar problems long time ago when I installed a new wall oven. The first thing I did was to buy a Taylor oven thermoteter, it turned out the oven is always 20/25 degrees lower than the setting (it has a digital control panel).
This pretty much addressed all the baking issues I had.

Relative to your cake sanking on the middle when using a convection oven... What kind of mold are you using? Sometimes non-stick produce funny results, like premature browning perhaps you need to bake using a thicker mold like ceramic (that will difuse the heat better) or a bain marie on the convection oven since is powerful enough to bake the outside faster than the inside. And just to make sure the temperature is not an issue, use a thermoteter too in the convection oven.

I hope these comments helped you.

Back
Top Bottom