Need to color white frosting orange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbb87

Cook
I need to color white frosting orange but I only have food coloring. Is there anyway to color it orange with just food coloring? I do not have time to go on another search for paste coloring (or whatever it's called). The only stores around here that probably carry it are craft stores and I don't have the time (or gas money) to go there. So... Can anyone help me? I think with food coloring I'm only going to get a peach color, and then I run the risk of making the frosting too runny.

I always use food coloring. You don't have to use much either. Not sure about the colors though. Someone else may help you better.

just add a drop of both red and yellow. add in drops so you don't use to much to get the color you want. if it should happened to get to thin, just add a bit of confectionery sugar.

babe:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Can she mix small amounts of the food coloring together first to get a color she likes before mixing into the frosting? That seems safer to some degree.

Your food coloring should have instructions on how to make yellow. Like someone said it is by mixing yellow and red. Until it is mixed in the frosting you're not going to know the exact tone of it.

Equal parts of each and then determine the tone with each mixing.

Equal parts blue and red make purple

Red, blue, green (3-3-2) makes black

Blue and yellow make green

My son used to have this "push thing" with a primary color wheel that spun around. Each wheel had two colors. When it was being pushed those two colors would make another color. VERY informative toy :LOL:

I've learned in the last 6-7 years that any shades of playdough all mashed together (after the really cool swirly color stage) makes a shade of pink or mauve.

I've learned in the last 6-7 years that any shades of playdough all mashed together (after the really cool swirly color stage) makes a shade of pink or mauve.

You've also learned you CAN put a square peg into a round hole :LOL: OOPS - I think that was a round peg - nevermind :neutral:

KE STOP IT!!!!
How can I enjoy this lovely box of.....hiccup....
....I mean cup of coffee when you keep making me spit it all over my screen?????

muttley.gif

But I don't think food coloring will give me the orange color that I want. I think it will come out to light - like a peach color. This always happens when I try to do red, I always end up with pink. I've even put about 10 drops in and I still get pink. Then the frosting starts getting thinner. I would imagine it would be the same with orange.

Thanks for the input. I'll try for the orange but I may have to settle for peach or yellow. Unless I can come up with a light brown.

Yes, I've never had any luck getting strong colours from liquid food colourings. You always end up with the pastel shade of whatever colour you were trying for. Gel colouring works really well, and I use that for my reds, blacks, etc. However, if you can't get to the shop for gel colours, I guess a peachy colour is your best bet.

my two cents

well as far as i know shades of red, and orange need a couple of hours to "mature" if you add enough red or orange food coloring to something the color should become stronger, however the thining that was aformentioned can become problematic but that can be solved with a little cofectioners sugar, leave the iceing to rest for like two or so hours and you may notice the collor seems to drop a couple of shades and become a more rich and less pastell collor, at least thats what happens when i have to use noramal food colors to color my buttercreme, anyhow thats my two cents take it or leave it i wish you the best

:chef:brandon- aka That_gumpaste_guy

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom