Need to create old-fashioned dense cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
Hey, all. Glenn's birthday is this week and he's told me his favorite cake is the old-fashioned kind that little old ladies used to make. Heavy and dense. He doesn't care for light and airy cakes.

I'm surmising that if I substitute all-purpose flour for cake flour in the recipe I want to use, I'll get the type of cake he likes. Am I correct in this assumption? If not, please give me your thoughts and advice on how to achieve that end.

Moist and dense or pound cake consistency? Chocolate or other?

I have recipes to offer as I like my cakes moist and heavy enough to break a toe if you drop them. ;)

To be honest, I'm not sure what makes them like that. I suspect its the ratio of fat to dry but not sure. I always use AP not cake flour so not sure about the density there.

PS. Ken's birthday is tomorrow so I'm baking today too. Check out the Chocolate lovers thread. Ken's birthday cake is the first one on the list and its definitely dense.

You are correct Katie, cake flour results in a more tender crumb, while Wondra flour will produce the lightest cake... Bleached all purpose flour will give you the best results... Hope this helps... :):):)

Moist and dense or pound cake consistency? Chocolate or other?

I have recipes to offer as I like my cakes moist and heavy enough to break a toe if you drop them. ;)

To be honest, I'm not sure what makes them like that. I suspect its the ratio of fat to dry but not sure. I always use AP not cake flour so not sure about the density there.

PS. Ken's birthday is tomorrow so I'm baking today too. Check out the Chocolate lovers thread. Ken's birthday cake is the first one on the list and its definitely dense.

Moist and dense is his preference and his all-time favorite is yellow cake. He's not much of a chocolate eater. He's requested an orange icing. Reminiscent of the taste of a dreamsicle. I found the perfect recipe that incorporates freshly grated orange rind and orange oil. That should do the trick. The cake is what I need to perfect.

He remembers the cakes he ate at his great aunt's house when he was a child. He said it was dense and heavy and he loved it. Still does.

I figured that if I substituted all-purpose flour for cake flour, I'd get a close approximation.

Hey, all. Glenn's birthday is this week and he's told me his favorite cake is the old-fashioned kind that little old ladies used to make. Heavy and dense. He doesn't care for light and airy cakes.

I'm surmising that if I substitute all-purpose flour for cake flour in the recipe I want to use, I'll get the type of cake he likes. Am I correct in this assumption? If not, please give me your thoughts and advice on how to achieve that end.

Try making an old fashioned pound cake in a layer cake pan. Sounds like that would fit the bill.

MIX TOGETHER:
1 CUP BUTTER OR MARGARINE
1 CUP WATER
2 CUPS FLOUR
2 CUPS SUGAR
2 EGG WHITES (OR 1/3 CUP WHITES)
1 CUP SOUR CREAM
1 TEASPOON VANILLA
1 TEASPOON SALT
1 TEASPOON BAKING SODA
POUR INTO A 9X13 PAN
BAKE AT 350

This is my favorite white cake. Very dense, yet moist.
Powdered sugar mixed with frozen orange juice concentrate makes a great orange frosting. Hope you enjoy it, if you try it!

Moist and dense is his preference and his all-time favorite is yellow cake. He's not much of a chocolate eater. He's requested an orange icing. Reminiscent of the taste of a dreamsicle. I found the perfect recipe that incorporates freshly grated orange rind and orange oil. That should do the trick. The cake is what I need to perfect.

He remembers the cakes he ate at his great aunt's house when he was a child. He said it was dense and heavy and he loved it. Still does.

I figured that if I substituted all-purpose flour for cake flour, I'd get a close approximation.

Oooo dreamsicle cake. You gotta post that if it is tasty.

I agree with others with the pound cake recommendations, just make it in layer cake pans.

Also the 1-2-3-4 cake is kind of a hybrid (at least for me) between a fluffy cake mix type cake and a pound cake.

The 1-2-3-4 cake is an old fashioned cake that may be what he remembers.

I agree with others with the pound cake recommendations, just make it in layer cake pans.

Also the 1-2-3-4 cake is kind of a hybrid (at least for me) between a fluffy cake mix type cake and a pound cake.

The 1-2-3-4 cake is an old fashioned cake that may be what he remembers.

Whats a 1-2-3-4 cake?

Alix it also has a cup of butter in it... This is a yellow cake due to the eggyolks... Alice Waters has a fabulous recipe for this cake, as there are many variations, her's IMO is the best... :):):)

I think that it is a Swansdown Cake flour recipe. Really old fashioned cake.

The Art Of Baking

Bakechef I use swansdown all the time but never noticed, so I grabbed the box and there it was... Iv'e never tried this one before but I will try it now, thanks... Alix if you need the recipe let me know I have the box right here... :)

Thanks, everyone. I think I'm going to give the 1-2-3-4 cake a try. Sounds about right. I'll let you know how it turns out. It's not cast in stone, so keep the ideas coming. I haven't turned the oven on yet.:)

Katie, I look forward to hearing how your cake comes out. My husband also has a memory of a cake his grandmother used to make. It was very dense, heavy and moist. I have tried once before to make one I thought would match what he remembers. I am willing to try again. Depending on how yours turns out I will start with that one first, then if that is not what he is looking for I will continue with the other suggestions that others have left here.

Back
Top Bottom