"No bump" cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The edges of the cake get hot faster than the center. As a result, the cake batter around the outside of the pan sets first, stopping it from rising any further. The batter in the center keeps rising, forming a dome in the middle of the cake before it, too, sets.

To prevent or minimize this effect, you can buy strips that wrap around the outside of cake pans, slowing down the heating/setting process.

You can also lower the temperature of your oven and bake the cake a little longer. For example, instead of 350, bake the cake at 325 and bake 10 - 15 minutes longer depending on the size and depth.

My problem is that the cakes and muffins raise beautifully, but then they come down and flatened, and if I let them in the oven for more time, they get very dry......

Check the temperature of your oven with a good oven thermometer -- it may be too hot, hotter than indicated on the dial.

The addition of an extra egg in the batter will help them hold their shape better so that they don't collapse as they cool. For me, the raised center is unwanted in cakes, as I tend to make multiple cakes and layer them. But the cake I cut off to flatten the top is used to make trifles. So it's all good.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Scotch: Thanks for the advise about the oven. I will try lowering the temperature a little. could be a little too hot.
GW of the North: I also will try (another time) with the addition of one more egg. I like to make the apple muffins, they are delicious and keep well. Thanks and keep well.

I saw on Paula dean show once she gave a hint and it was for that.
When you pour your batter in your pan - push the batter from the center out to the sides more leaving a indent in the middle - when it rise it will rise evenly. I tried it and it did work.

i'm anxious to try the paula dean method! I've also been told that insteadof buying the strips to go around the pans, you can wrap a wet rag/dish towel around the pans and it does the same thing... haven't tried it yet though.

Back
Top Bottom