"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 09-10-2006, 10:57 PM   #11
Master Chef

Instead of adding the lemon jello dry mix to the cake, do what you did with the glaze. Make the jello according to the box directions and pour it over the cooled cake. Refrigerate. The jello doesn't come out like jello with cake mixed in. Rather it gives and incredible moistness to the cake, without making it soggy. And it adds intense jello flavor. My sauce was used like your glaze, but spooned over the cake slices when the cake was served. I didn't invent this cake, but my family absolutely loves it. The sauce was mine, but is just a double sugar recipe simple syrup with lemon juice in it. It tastes great, but isn't anything amazing to make.

You asked about lemon icing. Here's how I'd make that. Take 3 sticks of butter and bring up to room temp. Mix in 1/2 cup powdered sugar until all is smooth. Test the consistancy. Mix in more powdered sugar until everything is very stiff and dry. Add lemon juice, two tbs. at a time and mix in until the frosting consistancy is where you like it. Taste it. If it needs more lemon, add it. If it needs to be creamier, add more butter. It it's to tart, add more powdered sugar. Play with it until it tastes just right to you. Then spread it on whatever you want (I think it would work with lemon cake :-)) Good luck with your frosting/icing. I know you will make it perfect.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:07 PM   #12
Master Chef

You asked about lemon icing. Here's how I'd make that. Take 3 sticks of butter and bring up to room temp. Mix in 1/2 cup powdered sugar until all is smooth. Test the consistancy. Mix in more powdered sugar until everything is very stiff and dry. Add lemon juice, two tbs. at a time and mix in until the frosting consistancy is where you like it. Taste it. If it needs more lemon, add it. If it needs to be creamier, add more butter. It it's to tart, add more powdered sugar. Play with it until it tastes just right to you. Then spread it on whatever you want (I think it would work with lemon cake :-)) Good luck with your frosting/icing. I know you will make it perfect.

Thanks for telling how to make your lemon icing. I am going to whip up a batch tomorrow.

Old 09-10-2006, 11:11 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Thanks for the lemon cake info Goodweed! The frosting sounds
good also.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:00 AM   #14
Master Chef

I forgot to tell you that by the time all is said and done, you will have most of a bag of powdered sugar. The bags I purchase hold 2 lbs.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 09-11-2006, 08:04 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
This sauce would go wonderful over my lemon bars and cupcakes. Thanks Goodweed.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:07 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicacarr
Well, everyone on earth--except me-- knew that technique.
NOW everyone knows it!
LOL

Uhuh...I had not heard that one either! Sounds a bit like the sponge in the botton of a store-bought trifle. Interesting to know, I'll remember that!
Old 09-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Thanks, Goodweed, for the recipes for lemon cake (soaked in lemon Jello) and for the lemon frosting. I, too, had never heard of pouring the liquid Jello over the cake, but I am going to give it a try for sure!! Don't worry about the extra powdered sugar -- I bake a great deal and it won't last long. Thanks, again!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 12:04 PM   #18
Master Chef

I'll bet it would be good with bread pudding!
Old 09-13-2006, 11:23 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I'll bet it would be good with bread pudding!
If only I could get my DW to eat bread pudding (heavy sigh). That does sound like a winning combination. But I would be eating it for 2 weeks!

Seeeeeeya: Goodweed of the North

Old 09-13-2006, 03:25 PM   #20
Head Chef

Hello Goodweed. I'm not entirely sure what bread pudding is. If it's what I know as bread and butter pudding, try the recipe below. She is bound to love it - and she doesn't need to know what it is till she's admitted it's absolutely divine. And if she doesn't like it, I'm sure you'll have no trouble polishing it off yourself.

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/c...g,1036,RC.html

Once she's tried this, I bet you'll be able to get her to try other versions. Plus, because all the preparation work is done in advance, this is perfect for parties.

Tags
None