Oatmeal Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MexicoKaren

Head Chef
Laurie, here is my recipe. It is a very moist and lovely cake and comes together very quickly. It is my own recipe (sort of), after experimenting with several other recipes....

JERRY’S FAVORITE OATMEAL CAKE

Heat oven to350 degrees and grease a 9”X13” pan.

In small bowl, combine
1 1/4 c. boiling water
1 cup rolled oats
¾ cup butter
Cover and let stand 20 minutes.

In large mixing bowl, combine
1 c. white sugar
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla

Whisk together the following:
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

In mixer, cream sugars and eggs. Add oatmeal ingredients; mix well. Add flour mixture. Bake 30-35 minutes or until done. Spread topping on hot cake and return to oven for 5-7 minutes, OR place under broiler 5 minutes or until golden brown (watch closely).

TOPPING FOR OATMEAL CAKE:

6 tbsp. soft butter
1 c. chopped and toasted walnuts
1 c. shredded coconut
1/2 c. white sugar
1/4 c. cream
1 tsp. vanilla
Mix together in medium saucepan and cook until butter melts and sugar is dissolved.

This sounds wonderful ... gimme a nice cup of tea and a big corner piece and I'd be in heaven. It was nice of you to share this!

Thanks, Karen,
This looks very interesting and when I finish baking all the cakes I need for others for the next two weeks, I will definitely try this for the family!

great recipe Karent thanks... did not do the frosting just threw some rasins on top as it was supposed to be breakfast for next week... not sure it will make it that long though :) Really nice and spicy... great for a cold day like this and super easy. I am not a baker and it was a breeze.

I have quick cooking Oats on hand will they work or should I wait and get the other.
this sounds really good.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All

Quick cooking oats work, you don't have to soak them as long though.

Steel cut oats work too, just soak them longer. I can't give you an exact proportion of time however. I would go with however long you would cook steel cut oats for porridge, let them soak at least that long.

Thanks Alix, I am thinking I would need to cook them a good 20 minutes on low then let stand and should be OK.
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, nice to see that my oatmeal cake has some life left in it! I think steel cut oats would be fine if soaked longer, and would probably add an interesting nutty texture to the cake. Hope everyone enjoys and is having a happy time preparing for the holidays.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom