"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 07-18-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Obst torte

I don't have a picture--but was thinking that Steve K could make this with all those cherries. You need an obst torte (Kaiser) pan. Mine is fairly large. The grandmother of the family with which I lived as an exchange student taught me to make this. We used vanilla sugar in Germany, but I've used vanilla extract in North America. If your pan gets rusty, get rid of it and get an new one, the base sticks. The "rim" is the top, but when baked it is the bottom. I love this made with sour / tart cherries.

For the base:

1 c flour
1/4 c sugar
1/2 c milk
1/4 c oil
2 egg yolks
dash of vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
2 egg whites, beaten stiffly with 1/2 c more sugar (so 3/4 c total for the recipe)

1. Combine all ingredients except the egg whites and 1/2 c sugar in a large bowl--mix by hand.
2. Gently fold in the egg whites (beaten with the 1/2 c sugar).

3. Bake in a greased Kaiser pan dusted with cornmeal or finely ground bread crumbs for 15-20 minutes. Let cool 10-15 minutes before removing the cake from the pan. Let cool completely before topping with fruit.

Fruit topping:

2-3 c fresh fruit
1/2 c sugar
1 T cornstarch dissolved in 2 T water

Heat fruit and sugar together until sugar dissolves. Add corn starch and heat until thickened. Spread on top of cooled torte base. Serve with whipped cream.

Tags
recipe

Obst torte I don't have a picture--but was thinking that Steve K could make this with all those cherries. You need an obst torte (Kaiser) pan. Mine is fairly large. The grandmother of the family with which I lived as an exchange student taught me to make this. We used vanilla sugar in Germany, but I've used vanilla extract in North America. If your pan gets rusty, get rid of it and get an new one, the base sticks. The "rim" is the top, but when baked it is the bottom. I love this made with sour / tart cherries. For the base: 1 c flour 1/4 c sugar 1/2 c milk 1/4 c oil 2 egg yolks dash of vanilla 1 tsp baking powder 2 egg whites, beaten stiffly with 1/2 c more sugar (so 3/4 c total for the recipe) 1. Combine all ingredients except the egg whites and 1/2 c sugar in a large bowl--mix by hand. 2. Gently fold in the egg whites (beaten with the 1/2 c sugar). 3. Bake in a greased Kaiser pan dusted with cornmeal or finely ground bread crumbs for 15-20 minutes. Let cool 10-15 minutes before removing the cake from the pan. Let cool completely before topping with fruit. Fruit topping: 2-3 c fresh fruit 1/2 c sugar 1 T cornstarch dissolved in 2 T water Heat fruit and sugar together until sugar dissolves. Add corn starch and heat until thickened. Spread on top of cooled torte base. Serve with whipped cream. 3 stars 1 reviews