"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 09-20-2016, 04:17 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Oeufs au lait/pudding

Prep:20 minsCook:20 mins
10 servings/

Ingredients
1 l milk (whole milk)
6 eggs
6 spoons sugar
(Optional : 1 vanilla pod / 1 tsp vanilla extract)

Method
  1. Pour the milk into a pan with the sugar (and vanilla). Bring gently to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
    Meanwhile in a large bowl, beat the eggs until frothy.

2. Very slowly and while beating wish the milk into the eggs.
    Remark :
    Do not pour the milk too quickly so as not to bake the egg yolks!!

3. Set the backing dish (or use ramekins)

4. Put into the oven which should be cold first !!!

5. Bake for 20 mins at 120C (thermostat 2-3)
    Then for 10 mins at 180C (thermostat 6)

Then for 5 mins at 210C (thermostat 7)

Remark : Observe strictly the three cooking steps
    !!!

6. Then cool and chill.

Old 09-20-2016, 03:35 PM   #2
Senior Cook

When I was a child, growing up in England, my Grandma used to make that very self same recipe, except that she would put grated nutmeg on top. It would be served directly from the oval pudding dish it had been baked in, and was always a huge hit with us. Chance would have it that for years I have used that same recipe to make crme caramel, which is a great favourite of my husband's. It's an excellent recipe!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast di reston

Old 09-22-2016, 06:39 PM   #3
Head Chef

hmmmm sorry it took me so long to see this recipe...

Sounds wonderful! On my list!

Thanks A.D M2fle - do you have some more?

Brittany, makes me think of mussels... another yummm

Tags
eggs, milk, pudding, recipe, sugar

Oeufs au lait/pudding [B][FONT="]Prep:[/FONT][/B][FONT="] [/FONT][FONT="]20 mins[/FONT][FONT="] [/FONT][B][FONT="]Cook:[/FONT][/B][FONT="] [/FONT][FONT="]20 mins[/FONT] [FONT="]10 servings/[/FONT] [FONT="] [/FONT] [B][FONT="]Ingredients[/FONT][/B] [FONT="] 1 l milk (whole milk)[/FONT] [FONT="] 6 eggs[/FONT] [FONT="] 6 spoons sugar[/FONT] [FONT="] (Optional : 1 vanilla pod / 1 tsp vanilla extract)[/FONT] [FONT="] [/FONT] [B][FONT="]Method[/FONT][/B][FONT="][/FONT] [LIST=1] [*][FONT="][/FONT][FONT="]Pour the milk into a pan with the sugar (and vanilla). Bring gently to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.[/FONT][FONT="] Meanwhile in a large bowl, beat the eggs until frothy. [/FONT] [*][FONT="]Very slowly and [/FONT][FONT="]while beating[/FONT][FONT="] wish the milk into the eggs. Remark : [/FONT][FONT="]Do not pour the milk too quickly so as not to bake the egg yolks!! [/FONT] [*][FONT="]Set the backing dish (or use ramekins) [/FONT] [*][FONT="] [/FONT][FONT="]Put into the oven which should be cold first !!! [/FONT] [*][FONT="]Bake for 20 mins at 120C (thermostat 2-3)[/FONT][FONT="] Then for 10 mins at 180C (thermostat 6)[/FONT][FONT="] Then for 5 mins at 210C (thermostat 7)[/FONT][FONT="] Remark : Observe strictly the three cooking steps[/FONT] !!! [FONT="][/FONT] [*][FONT="]Then cool and chill.[IMG]https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-olz5TmVmmmM/V-DtYHPuxDI/AAAAAAAAJMs/2m_aC6Eb0eMFho0k_C2MDbr-2qOB-mQxwCLcB/s320/oeufs%2Bau%2Blait.jpg[/IMG][/FONT] [/LIST] 3 stars 1 reviews