"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 09-29-2006, 06:46 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Hi Anne,

This looks delicious. I have a question about the corn oil, why corn oil? The corn oil I have is thick and dark yellow, not at all like the corn oil available in grocery stores, which is a light colored oil. I'm thinking I do not want to use my corn oil in this recipe. I really only use it in corn bread. Do you understand why corn oil is specified?

Old 09-29-2006, 08:32 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Coffee cake

Thanks Anne

Another one for my files.

Mel

Old 09-30-2006, 05:10 PM   #13
Head Chef

Anne

I love your receipe for Old-fashioned Coffee Cake - and will keep it in my file.

As always you are a wonderful cook.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:28 PM   #14

That recipe was in the Los Angeles Times on 9/27/06, with only difference being that it called for canola oil instead of corn oil, and it's called Buttermilk Cinnamon Coffee Cake. It looked very good, so I cut it out, but I haven't tried it yet.

According to the Times, the recipe is from "Morning Food: Breakfast, Brunches, and More for Savoring the Best Part of the Day" by Margaret S. Fox and John B. Bear. The lengthy article is about the Ms. Fox, who is the chef at the renowned Café Boujolais in Mendocino. The article is interesting and includes a couple of other recipes.

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-fox27sep27,1,7075613.story?coll=la-headlines-food

(You may need to sign in or set up a free account to view the article.)
Old 09-30-2006, 09:13 PM   #15
Master Chef

That sounds like the Sunday morning coffee cake my mom used to make with Bisquick. I loved it.

Beth, I don't know what you have on hand, but I think you could use the lipid of your choice.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:58 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Dear folks,

This is one of the many tasty recipes in one of my very favorite cookery books, The San Francisco Chronicle Cookbook, published in 1997.

It's the "Cafe Beaujolais Coffee Cake" on p. 277, and it is attributed to Margaret Fox, of Cafe Beaujolais in Mendocino, California. It is described and listed just as Anne gives it.

You can purchase this cookbook for about 20 bucks through www.chroniclebooks.com

(It's the original version with the yellow cover, not the new volume II version with the blue cover. And it is worth the money!)
Old 10-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wino
That recipe was in the Los Angeles Times on 9/27/06, with only difference being that it called for canola oil instead of corn oil, and it's called Buttermilk Cinnamon Coffee Cake. It looked very good, so I cut it out, but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks. I could not imagine why I could not use canola oil, but also could not ignor the fact the recipe called for corn oil!
Old 10-01-2006, 07:52 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I love this coffee cake. It's very moist.

PECAN COFFEE CAKE

2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tblsp. baking powder
1 cup softened butter
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tblsp. vanilla ext.
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup pecans
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tblsp. melted butter

Cream the butter in a large bowl. Gradually beat in sour cream, then the sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then add vanilla. Fold in the flour, baking powder and salt. Spread batter into greased 9 x 13 pan.

In another bowl, combine brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon & melted butter. Sprinkle over cake batter. Bake at 350 degrees about 35 minutes.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:53 AM   #19
Sous Chef

Hello betzaring

I know u werent asking me, but i will make a comment anyway. I think in cooking and baking of cakes and cookies melted butter always tastes better than oil. When i make this coffeecake, i am going to make that substitution.

Mel
Old 10-02-2006, 05:34 AM   #20
Sous Chef

Wino

I tried to get to the coffee cake u suggest. The site is asking me for a login name and password. A pity, because i always have plenty of buttermilk.

Mel

Tags
None