Old-fashioned Coffee Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anne

Senior Cook
OLD-FASHIONED COFFEE CAKE

There are so many coffee cake recipes these days -- many of them good ones -- but my favorite is this coffee cake, which guests say tastes just like the coffee cake they grew up with. With a cup of tea or coffee, who could ask for anything more?

Serves 12

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup corn oil
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg, beaten
1 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9X13X2" baking pan liberally.

In a large bowl, combine flour, salt, 1 tsp. of the cinnamon, ginger, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and corn oil. Stir to mix together well. Measure 3/4 cup of this mixture and place in a smaller bowl; add to it the nuts and remaining cinnamon. Stir together thoroughly until mixed. Set aside.

Add to the larger bowl the baking soda, baking powder, egg and buttermilk. Stir only to combine, but if the batter has small lumps, that's OK. Pour the batter into the pan. Sprinkle the flour-nut mixture from the smaller bowl over the top of the batter.

Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve warm.

Last edited:
Looks good Anne,
Hope to try it out this afternoon...Thanks
kadesma:)

Anne, that is our family's all-time favorite coffee cake, as well, except my Mom made one small adjustment in the filling/topping recipe.... she added about 1/4 cup of sweetened cocoa (like Nestle's Quick) to the sugar, instead of all the spices, then added cinnamon and left out the nuts... It's a tasty variation you might like! :)

To all you good bakers: I hope you like it. I think it's out of this world! I know the owner of a very, very successful restaurant in our area (rave reviews in all the best magazines and newspapers) who serves a coffee cake for breakfast almost identical to this one. Many of her customers eat their breakfast there so they can enjoy a piece of her coffee cake. It's THAT good! I wish I could tell you how many of these she bakes every morning, but I can't remember. It's a LOT, though!

Last edited:
Hi Anne,

This looks delicious. I have a question about the corn oil, why corn oil? The corn oil I have is thick and dark yellow, not at all like the corn oil available in grocery stores, which is a light colored oil. I'm thinking I do not want to use my corn oil in this recipe. I really only use it in corn bread. Do you understand why corn oil is specified?

That recipe was in the Los Angeles Times on 9/27/06, with only difference being that it called for canola oil instead of corn oil, and it's called Buttermilk Cinnamon Coffee Cake. It looked very good, so I cut it out, but I haven't tried it yet.

According to the Times, the recipe is from "Morning Food: Breakfast, Brunches, and More for Savoring the Best Part of the Day" by Margaret S. Fox and John B. Bear. The lengthy article is about the Ms. Fox, who is the chef at the renowned Café Boujolais in Mendocino. The article is interesting and includes a couple of other recipes.

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-fox27sep27,1,7075613.story?coll=la-headlines-food

(You may need to sign in or set up a free account to view the article.)

Last edited:
That sounds like the Sunday morning coffee cake my mom used to make with Bisquick. I loved it.

Beth, I don't know what you have on hand, but I think you could use the lipid of your choice.

Dear folks,

This is one of the many tasty recipes in one of my very favorite cookery books, The San Francisco Chronicle Cookbook, published in 1997.

It's the "Cafe Beaujolais Coffee Cake" on p. 277, and it is attributed to Margaret Fox, of Cafe Beaujolais in Mendocino, California. It is described and listed just as Anne gives it.

You can purchase this cookbook for about 20 bucks through www.chroniclebooks.com

(It's the original version with the yellow cover, not the new volume II version with the blue cover. And it is worth the money!)

Last edited:
Wino said:
That recipe was in the Los Angeles Times on 9/27/06, with only difference being that it called for canola oil instead of corn oil, and it's called Buttermilk Cinnamon Coffee Cake. It looked very good, so I cut it out, but I haven't tried it yet.

Thanks. I could not imagine why I could not use canola oil, but also could not ignor the fact the recipe called for corn oil!

I love this coffee cake. It's very moist.

PECAN COFFEE CAKE

2 cups flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tblsp. baking powder
1 cup softened butter
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 tblsp. vanilla ext.
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup pecans
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tblsp. melted butter

Cream the butter in a large bowl. Gradually beat in sour cream, then the sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time, then add vanilla. Fold in the flour, baking powder and salt. Spread batter into greased 9 x 13 pan.

In another bowl, combine brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon & melted butter. Sprinkle over cake batter. Bake at 350 degrees about 35 minutes.

Hello betzaring

I know u werent asking me, but i will make a comment anyway. I think in cooking and baking of cakes and cookies melted butter always tastes better than oil. When i make this coffeecake, i am going to make that substitution.

Mel

Wino

I tried to get to the coffee cake u suggest. The site is asking me for a login name and password. A pity, because i always have plenty of buttermilk.

Mel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom