"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 01-13-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I agree, nicer cheese cake with sour cream.

Sounds very good, but I have never whipped the egg white separately. I'll have to try it sometime.
I seem to have read that you should whip the egg white separately if you want a fluffier, drier cheesecake. Personally, I like denser, moister cheesecake, but DH prefers fluffier.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I seem to have read that you should whip the egg white separately if you want a fluffier, drier cheesecake. Personally, I like denser, moister cheesecake, but DH prefers fluffier.
I like the dense cheesecake, too...and one less bowl to wash.

Old 01-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

What about using ricotta cheese instead of the sour cream?
Old 01-14-2011, 07:44 AM   #14
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Too me, this recipe looks a little light on the cream cheese and heavy on the cream, but the best way to find out is to make it.
Thats exactly what i was thinking...

Seems like you'd have a runny mess. But who knows! Maybe it would work...
Old 01-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #15
Cook

You can also replace the cream by milk :)
Old 01-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #16
Sous Chef

I prefer fluffier, custardy cheesecake. I'm going to make this today, with 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, and 16 oz cream cheese. I'm making it for my bf's family get together so I don't have time to experiment with a runny mess lol
Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 AM   #17
Sous Chef

What do you think about maybe using 3/4 cup sour cream and 3/4 cup heavy cream? Is that weird? Lol
Old 01-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #18
Master Chef

Site Administrator

When you add the cream just keep an eye on it. If you think it doesn't have enough add more, if you think it is getting to be too much stop.

When I have make cheesecake I tend to do fresh, not baked, though I have done the baked ones as well. I use 24oz cream cheese and somewhere between 10 and 14 oz of cream.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:20 AM   #19
Sous Chef

The only fresh kind I have ever done was the Betty crocker (or whatever brand it is) no bake cheesecake. Turned out really well! Maybe I will have to try the fresh kind some time too. I picked this recipe because it got really good online reviews, but I don't trust those people... A lot of them have no clue what they are talking about, I swear. Their mothers must have raised them on garbage based on some of the things they give glowing recommendations for. Ugh. Last time I made cheesecake it was a heavier new york style, and although it had great flavor, it was just too dense for my tastes.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:19 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

This is a savoury cheesecake:

Recipe Details

K.

Tags
other, recipe

Opinions on this cheesecake recipe? Does this look like a good cheesecake recipe? I like lighter fluffier cheesecake.* Ingredients 1 1/2 tablespoons butter 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs 12 ounces cream cheese 3/4 cup white sugar 4 eggs 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups heavy whipping cream Directions Grease an 8 inch springform pan thickly with butter. Turn pan on its side, place a few graham cracker crumbs in pan and shake so crumbs stick to sides. Keep turning and add crumbs as needed until sides are well coated. Set pan upright and coat bottom of pan. Put pan into freezer for 30 minutes or refrigerator for 2 hours. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). With electric beater, mix cream cheese, sugar, egg yolks, flour, vanilla, and salt. Beat thoroughly and then turn mixer to slowest speed and slowly pour in the cream. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Add to the above mixture and fold the whites in by hand, lightly but thoroughly. Pour mixture into the crumb-lined pan. Set pan into shallow pan containing 1 inch hot water and bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 1 1/2 hours. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving. 3 stars 1 reviews