"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 01-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #31
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Place your knife in hot water between each slice and you should have no problem...
A trick I learned is to use unwaxed/unflavoured dental floss. It cuts RIGHT through even the thickest/moistest cheesecakes and does it cleanly! No sticky bits or crumbs falling away. :) I actually learned about this from a pastry chef, and it works!!!!!

PrincessFiona60- i'll post the recipe soon.. gotta go dig up the exact measurements I have written down.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblebee View Post
A trick I learned is to use unwaxed/unflavoured dental floss. It cuts RIGHT through even the thickest/moistest cheesecakes and does it cleanly! No sticky bits or crumbs falling away. :) I actually learned about this from a pastry chef, and it works!!!!!

PrincessFiona60- i'll post the recipe soon.. gotta go dig up the exact measurements I have written down.
Waiting is...

Thank you!

Old 01-17-2011, 06:06 PM   #33
Sous Chef

I thought of using wire, but decided it would be too difficult to get the cheesecake out of the pan... Are you doing something I haven't thought of?
Old 02-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #34
Senior Cook

I use a combo of sour cream and cream cheese in my recipe. Also, 4 eggs plus 2 egg whites. Makes the cake very light and fluffy.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:54 PM   #35
Senior Cook

You are right on with the dental floss. I learned that trick from a pastry chef in Florida. I have stainless pie cutters. They cut larger slices than I usually want to serve but they can be used as a guide if you don't have floss. (But, we should never be out of floss..)
Old 02-18-2011, 02:59 PM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
You are right on with the dental floss. I learned that trick from a pastry chef in Florida. I have stainless pie cutters. They cut larger slices than I usually want to serve but they can be used as a guide if you don't have floss. (But, we should never be out of floss..)
I'm thinking that spiderwire braided fishing line would work very well for this, or maybe some firewire.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Yes, indeed. Fishing line is great. I have used that but it was years ago. Great idea.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #38
Head Chef

I think that the key to a good cheesecake isn't just in the recipe but in how you bake it. I bake mine similar to GoodWeed. I don't use a water bath either and I don't like a browned top. I bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes. Turn the oven down to 250 degrees F (don't remove the cheesecake from the oven). Continue baking for another 50 minutes. Makes a wonderful cheesecake.

Here's my key lime cheesecake:

Old 02-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
Yes, indeed. Fishing line is great. I have used that but it was years ago. Great idea.
Fishing line works, as does dental floss. I've used dental floss to sew up a turkey...it worked fine.

I've also used it when I didn't have any butcher's twine to tie a rolled roast. The good thing about using dental floss is if you miss some, it serves a dual purpose . You can floss your teeth at the same time.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:50 PM   #40
Senior Cook

I leave mine in oven for 1 hr after baking. No brown top either. Perfect. Of course, room temp eggs, cream cheese, and sour cream. (No substitutions with ricotta or other cheeses.) Very different results. Then, it is more like Italian cream cake.

Tags
other, recipe

Opinions on this cheesecake recipe? Does this look like a good cheesecake recipe? I like lighter fluffier cheesecake.* Ingredients 1 1/2 tablespoons butter 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs 12 ounces cream cheese 3/4 cup white sugar 4 eggs 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 cups heavy whipping cream Directions Grease an 8 inch springform pan thickly with butter. Turn pan on its side, place a few graham cracker crumbs in pan and shake so crumbs stick to sides. Keep turning and add crumbs as needed until sides are well coated. Set pan upright and coat bottom of pan. Put pan into freezer for 30 minutes or refrigerator for 2 hours. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). With electric beater, mix cream cheese, sugar, egg yolks, flour, vanilla, and salt. Beat thoroughly and then turn mixer to slowest speed and slowly pour in the cream. Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Add to the above mixture and fold the whites in by hand, lightly but thoroughly. Pour mixture into the crumb-lined pan. Set pan into shallow pan containing 1 inch hot water and bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 1 1/2 hours. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving. 3 stars 1 reviews