Opinions on this cheesecake recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Skittle, I also prefer a not so dense cheesecake. New York style cheesecake does nothing for me. I do a limited amount of baking, although I modestly say I'm a pretty dang good cook. ;)

I'd be very interested to hear about this cheesecake, and also to know about what changes you made to the recipe. Good luck, and a hearty welcome to Discuss Cooking. Stick around, you'll like it here. :chef:

I ended up using 1 cup heavy whipping cream and 3/4 cup sour cream. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. The flavor and texture was WONDERFUL! Only thing I didn't like was that the top was a little dark. I made the water bath in a 9" cast iron pan, which holds a lot of heat, so next time I might turn the oven off after an hour and let the water continue cooking it for a half hour-forty-five min. The comments I got about it were "too good", "sinful" and it was gone after about 10 minutes. It has a light airy texture because of the beaten egg whites, but is still rich like new york style. Definitely will use this recipe again. I might up the sour cream to a full cup next time though, as wasn't quite "custardy" enough for me. But I definitely give it 4 stars. Yum!

Thanks so much for the detailed report Skittle. It sounds like the perfect cheesecake for me. I've printed out the recipe, and made notes of your changes and suggestions. Like I said, I hardly ever bake but would love to make this. You just made yourself a great reputation in my book.
:chef:

Try replacing the sour cream with yougurt. I tried it once and ended up with a very light cheesecake and a sliightly sour taste.

Oh, forgot to mention that it was a little hard to cut because it was so soft if really stuck to the knife. Next time I might use a greased knife or something. It held together in slices really well, but having it stick to the knife made the edges look a little messy.

many people, myself included, love the dense and firm New York style cheesecake. But it was from these boards that I learned a little trick. If you cook, say for example, the cheesecake recipe I posted earlier according to the directions, you get that firm, dense cheesecake. But if you cook it until it still giggles a bit when it's shaken, the result will be a very creamy and smooth cheesecake. Also, I took the original recipe and added an extra cup of cream to it to maintain the classic flavor, while still making it more creamy and light.

Now you have to remember, there really is no such thing as a light cheesecake. It still ahs the same amount of calories no matter the texture as the ingredients are the same. But the mouth feel changes.

If you like a tangier flavor, reduce the cream cheese by half, and replace with cottage cheese of the same amount that has been either forced through a fine-mesh sieve, or blended.

I have a host of different cheesecake recipes including Hollywood Cheesecake, that has the flavor of orange infused into it, no-bake cheesecakes that use gelatin, plus many more. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll share them.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of teh North

Place your knife in hot water between each slice and you should have no problem... :):):)

A trick I learned is to use unwaxed/unflavoured dental floss. It cuts RIGHT through even the thickest/moistest cheesecakes and does it cleanly! No sticky bits or crumbs falling away. :) I actually learned about this from a pastry chef, and it works!!!!!

PrincessFiona60- i'll post the recipe soon.. gotta go dig up the exact measurements I have written down.

A trick I learned is to use unwaxed/unflavoured dental floss. It cuts RIGHT through even the thickest/moistest cheesecakes and does it cleanly! No sticky bits or crumbs falling away. :) I actually learned about this from a pastry chef, and it works!!!!!

PrincessFiona60- i'll post the recipe soon.. gotta go dig up the exact measurements I have written down.

Waiting is...:)

Thank you!

I thought of using wire, but decided it would be too difficult to get the cheesecake out of the pan... Are you doing something I haven't thought of?

I use a combo of sour cream and cream cheese in my recipe. Also, 4 eggs plus 2 egg whites. Makes the cake very light and fluffy.

You are right on with the dental floss. I learned that trick from a pastry chef in Florida. I have stainless pie cutters. They cut larger slices than I usually want to serve but they can be used as a guide if you don't have floss. (But, we should never be out of floss..)

You are right on with the dental floss. I learned that trick from a pastry chef in Florida. I have stainless pie cutters. They cut larger slices than I usually want to serve but they can be used as a guide if you don't have floss. (But, we should never be out of floss..)

I'm thinking that spiderwire braided fishing line would work very well for this, or maybe some firewire.;)

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Yes, indeed. Fishing line is great. I have used that but it was years ago. Great idea.

I think that the key to a good cheesecake isn't just in the recipe but in how you bake it. I bake mine similar to GoodWeed. I don't use a water bath either and I don't like a browned top. I bake at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes. Turn the oven down to 250 degrees F (don't remove the cheesecake from the oven). Continue baking for another 50 minutes. Makes a wonderful cheesecake.

Here's my key lime cheesecake:

Yes, indeed. Fishing line is great. I have used that but it was years ago. Great idea.

Fishing line works, as does dental floss. I've used dental floss to sew up a turkey...it worked fine.

I've also used it when I didn't have any butcher's twine to tie a rolled roast. The good thing about using dental floss is if you miss some, it serves a dual purpose ;). You can floss your teeth at the same time.

I leave mine in oven for 1 hr after baking. No brown top either. Perfect. Of course, room temp eggs, cream cheese, and sour cream. (No substitutions with ricotta or other cheeses.) Very different results. Then, it is more like Italian cream cake.

Back
Top Bottom