Opinions on this cheesecake recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skittle68

Sous Chef
Does this look like a good cheesecake recipe? I like lighter fluffier cheesecake.*

Ingredients
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
12 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup white sugar
4 eggs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups heavy whipping cream
Directions
Grease an 8 inch springform pan thickly with butter. Turn pan on its side, place a few graham cracker crumbs in pan and shake so crumbs stick to sides. Keep turning and add crumbs as needed until sides are well coated. Set pan upright and coat bottom of pan. Put pan into freezer for 30 minutes or refrigerator for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
With electric beater, mix cream cheese, sugar, egg yolks, flour, vanilla, and salt. Beat thoroughly and then turn mixer to slowest speed and slowly pour in the cream.
Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Add to the above mixture and fold the whites in by hand, lightly but thoroughly. Pour mixture into the crumb-lined pan.
Set pan into shallow pan containing 1 inch hot water and bake at 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) for 1 1/2 hours. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving.

I should be good and light for you. Looks fine to me. Our resident cheesecake expert should be along soon with an opinion...Frank??

New York Style Cheesecake

Crust:
1 ½ cups graham cracker crumbs
6 tbs. Butter, melted
2 tbs. Sugar

Filling:
4 - 8oz. Pkg. Cream Cheese (1 lb.)
¾ cup Sugar
2 large Eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
2 tbs. Cornstarch
1 cup sour cream.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Combine the crust ingredients and press into the bottom and sides of a 9 inch springform pan. Place in the freezer.

Mixt together the filling ingredients with a wire whip or mixer, until smooth and creamy. Remove the pan from the freezer and pour the filling mixture into the crust. Place the cheesecake into the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Turn heat down to 200 degrees F. And bake for 45 minutes more. Turn off the oven and crack open the door. Allow the cheesecake to cool with the oven.

Top with your favorite berry pie filling, such as blueberry, strawberry, cherry, etc. Alternately, mix 1 cup of sour cream with ¼ cup sugar. Blend until smooth. Use this to top your cheesecake.

For a creamier cheesecake, bake the final stage for 35 to 40 minutes. This will result in a softer, creamier cheesecake.

[FONT=&quot]I have also substituted ½ of the cream cheese with 8 oz. Of cottage cheese that was forced through a sieve. This makes a slightly more tangy filling that is very good. You can also swirl soft jam through the filling to alter this classic

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
[/FONT]

Yes it leaks. To use a spring-form pan so that it won't leak, simply place a large piece of parchment paper, or aluminum foil under it, so that the sides can be folded upward to cover the sides and bottom in a continuous sheet, creating a water-tight barrier. The water serves to create a stable temperature. The oven temp will fluctuate between the max heat setting, and the designed cooler setting until the heating element again heats the oven.l The water provides thermal mass that fluctuates more slowly. It also insures that there are no hot-spots to cause uneven heating of the cheesecake.

Personally, though others on the site swear by the water bath method, I don't use it. I simply place the pan in the center of my gas range an bake it according to directions. But I have heavier-steel spring-form pans, made by a German company called Kaiser. I never have any problems with my cheesecakes.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Yes it leaks. To use a spring-form pan so that it won't leak, simply place a large piece of parchment paper, or aluminum foil under it, so that the sides can be folded upward to cover the sides and bottom in a continuous sheet, creating a water-tight barrier. The water serves to create a stable temperature. The oven temp will fluctuate between the max heat setting, and the designed cooler setting until the heating element again heats the oven.l The water provides thermal mass that fluctuates more slowly. It also insures that there are no hot-spots to cause uneven heating of the cheesecake.

Personally, though others on the site swear by the water bath method, I don't use it. I simply place the pan in the center of my gas range an bake it according to directions. But I have heavier-steel spring-form pans, made by a German company called Kaiser. I never have any problems with my cheesecakes.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thank you. It's something I have been wondering about for a while. I'll give the foil a try. I've never baked cheesecake and I don't want to bork my first try. But, I won't be trying for a couple of weeks - 'til I get back from Denmark.

I am much more of an expert on eating them than on making them.

Too me, this recipe looks a little light on the cream cheese and heavy on the cream, but the best way to find out is to make it.

Taxlady,

No worries about messing up a cheesecake. Even if they aren't pretty they are usually still edible, even it if takes a spoon. :)

I agree, nicer cheese cake with sour cream.

Sounds very good, but I have never whipped the egg white separately. I'll have to try it sometime.

I seem to have read that you should whip the egg white separately if you want a fluffier, drier cheesecake. Personally, I like denser, moister cheesecake, but DH prefers fluffier.

I seem to have read that you should whip the egg white separately if you want a fluffier, drier cheesecake. Personally, I like denser, moister cheesecake, but DH prefers fluffier.

I like the dense cheesecake, too...and one less bowl to wash.:angel:

Too me, this recipe looks a little light on the cream cheese and heavy on the cream, but the best way to find out is to make it.

Thats exactly what i was thinking...

Seems like you'd have a runny mess. But who knows! Maybe it would work... :chef:

I prefer fluffier, custardy cheesecake. I'm going to make this today, with 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, and 16 oz cream cheese. I'm making it for my bf's family get together so I don't have time to experiment with a runny mess lol

What do you think about maybe using 3/4 cup sour cream and 3/4 cup heavy cream? Is that weird? Lol

Last edited:
When you add the cream just keep an eye on it. If you think it doesn't have enough add more, if you think it is getting to be too much stop.

When I have make cheesecake I tend to do fresh, not baked, though I have done the baked ones as well. I use 24oz cream cheese and somewhere between 10 and 14 oz of cream.

The only fresh kind I have ever done was the Betty crocker (or whatever brand it is) no bake cheesecake. Turned out really well! Maybe I will have to try the fresh kind some time too. I picked this recipe because it got really good online reviews, but I don't trust those people... A lot of them have no clue what they are talking about, I swear. Their mothers must have raised them on garbage based on some of the things they give glowing recommendations for. Ugh. Last time I made cheesecake it was a heavier new york style, and although it had great flavor, it was just too dense for my tastes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom