Orange-Cornmeal Pound Cake
1-1/4 cups unsalted butter, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 teas. vanilla
2 cups sifted cake flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. salt
1 Tbl. finely grated orange peel
1/3 cup fresh orange juice
2/3 cup sugar
1. HEAT OVEN TO 350F. Grease a 8-9 cup Bundt pan with shortening, sprinkle w/ flour. (use 325 degrees if it is a dark Bundt pan)
2. In a large bowl, beat butter at medium speed for 1 minute or until creamy. Add 1-1/2 cups of sugar; beat 5 minutes until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Scrape sides of the bowl.
3. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Stir in orange peel. At low speed, beat flour mixture into to batter for 15 seconds. Finish stirring batter with a rubber spatula until completely blended.
4. Spoon batter into pan. Level with spatula; tap pan on counter to settle batter. Bake 45-50 minutes until wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean and sides of cake pull away from pan. Cool on wire rack 15 minutes. Invert cake onto wire rack.
5. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together orange juice and sugar. Immediately after cake is inverted, brush w/ orange syrup. Cool completely.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams