Orange Marmalade Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheMamma

Assistant Cook
If you have read any of the books in Jan Karon's "Mitford" series, you likely remember Esther's Orange Marmalade Cake. I found the recipe online, made a few changes, and wrote it out in my own words.

The Mamma's Version of "Esther's Orange Marmalade Cake"

Ingredients:

For the cake
1 cup unsalted butter, softened, more for greasing the pans
3 1/4 cups cake flour, more for dusting the pans
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 2/3 cups granulated sugar
5 large eggs, at room temperature
5 large egg yolks, at room temperature
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I used mexican vanilla)
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature

For the orange syrup
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 2 juicy oranges)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp orange zest

For the filling
2 (12-ounce) jars orange marmalade
1 tablespoon honey

For the frosting
1 cup heavy cream, chilled
4 to 6 tablespoons superfine sugar,, to taste (you can make this yourself with regular sugar in a blender)
1 tablespoon honey
2 tsp grated orange zest
2 tsp vanilla (I used mexican)
1 cup sour cream, chilled

To make the cake:
Preheat oven to 350. Butter three 9 in cake pans (I had to use 10 in pans because one of my 9 inch pans is missing). Line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper, butter the parchment and then dust the pans with flour, shaking out the excess. Next sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Sift two more times. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter on medium speed until light in color, about 4 min. Slowly pour in the sugar, pouring in a steady stream. Turn mixer to high and beat 4 min, scraping sides of bowl at least once. Lower speed to medium and add the whole eggs, one at a time, beating after each egg. Follow with the egg yolks, one at a time. Scrape the sides of the bowl and beat on medium speed for 2 more minutes. Turn mixer to low and add the oil, orange zest and vanilla, beat for 1 min. Fold in half the flour mixture with a rubber spatula, followed by half of the buttermilk. Repeat with second half of flour and buttermilk.

Pour the batter into the prepared pans, rapping each pan on the counter twice to remove air bubbles. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes until a tooth pick comes out clean. Cool in the pans on wire racks for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, poke holes in the cakes (still in the pans) with a tooth pick at 1/2 inch intervals.

For the Syrup:
Stir together orange juice, sugar, and zest in a small sauce pan. Heat to boiling and simmer just long enough to melt the sugar. Remove from heat and cool, strain through a fine sieve into a measuring cup. When cakes are ready, spoon syrup evenly over the cakes. Cool cakes completely in the pans.

For the Filling:
Heat the marmalade and honey in a small sauce pan just until the marmalade melts. When the cakes are cool, invert first layer onto a cake plate. Peel off the parchment and top with 1/3 of the marmalade filling. Repeat with the second and third layers of cake. On the top layer, spread the marmalade (I like it to be just a little bit thicker on the top layer) to about 1/2 inch from the edge of the cake.

For the Frosting:
In a chilled metal mixing bowl and the wire wisk attachement chilled.. Oh high speed, whip heavy whipping cream with sugar, honey, zest and vanilla until thick and holds a peak. Turn the mixer to low and mix in the sour cream. Frost the sides only of the cake, swirling a little. With a large star tip, pipe a border around the top of the cake, leaving the marmalade exposed. Chill for at least two hours before serving. Enjoy! :)

Edited to fix html code that did not work and to add picture.

Attachments

• 1111092156.jpeg
    1111092156.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 339
Thanks very much! I'm happy to report that it was a HUGE success with my family. And I have a child who is known as "The Pickiest Eater in All The Land". I think I will make one more adjustment the next time I make this cake (and there will definitly be a next time!!).. I think that a cream cheese frosting with a little orange zest mixed in would be really yummy and go well with it.

If you give it a try, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. :)

That looks, and sounds just luscious!!
What a tremendous amount of effort, you should be applauded.:clap:
I hope your family appreciates you!

Thanks for sharing ........ now pass me a slice please. ;)

Back
Top Bottom