"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 11-05-2004, 07:22 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, the cake went over well. I am not going to announce the "secret" ingredient until it's all gone. Cake turned out to be a dense, uniquely sweet affair that seemed a little dry - probably due to overcooking a bit. However, excellent without frosting, as noted by others.

Marmalady, my dinner plans get re-arranged at the last minute fairly often by hubby's erratic work schedule. He is required to be here or there at a moment's notice or stuck in meetings at the last minute or thru lunch, so often there's no telling when/what he ate. Calls for some flexibility on my part. I should learn to do the "fancy" stuff at the weekend, but I was itching to try your recipe yesterday. In any case, we will have it tonite!

Old 11-05-2004, 11:54 AM   #32
Executive Chef

I understand completely, Mud! Our schedules here are a little goofy, too! Hope it all goes well!

Old 11-28-2004, 02:08 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

Just bumping this to myself as I have the cake baking in the oven as we speak. Will post a review. :o)
Old 11-28-2004, 02:27 PM   #34
Everymom

Can't wait to hear it. I am betting you will love it.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:05 PM   #35
Assistant Cook

Wow! This cake was magnificent. I am not a big lover of chocolate, well heavy tasting chocolate. And this was perfect. Not too sweet and so moist but fluffy! When I grasp the pan to take it out, my mitt thumb made an impression on it. LOL

I made a frosting for it though cuz my dh likes his sweets REALLY sweet. So I made some frosting using what I had on hand. I never made it this way and it was the best I ever tasted by my hand! I frosted half of the cake.

6 tbsp of butter, softened
6 tbsp of condensed milk
6 tbsp of cocoa
2-3 cups of conectioners sugar depending on how thick you want it
1 tsp of vanilla

Cream butter for about five minutes till fluffy, add milk. Cream another few minutes till well incorporated. Add cocoa one spoonful at a time while mixing. Then add 1/2 cup of conf. sugar at a time, mixing well after each addition. Finish off with the vanilla and mix well. All in all I mixed for about 15 minutes in my kitchenaid using the wisk attachment.

It was thick, chocolately and soooo good! Thanks Mudbug for posting and thank your sil!
Old 01-17-2005, 12:34 PM   #36
Executive Chef

I have beets and all else to go into the makings of this cake.
I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and make it.
I don't have to eat it, but husband would love this.
He is NOT a huge lover of over the top totally chocolate flavor.
He would never even indulge in Triple Chocolate Mess or the Slice of Sin. But this one, I could do a vanilla frosting and that'd make his night.

Thanks for sharing this great odd, inventive and creative recipe.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:45 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

a chocolate cake with beets?

this is new. it makes sense that beets would get used in dessert, like carrot cake, but this is perhaps the first recipe seen that actually uses it.

Tags
None