Peach and Almond Upside down cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
1 8inch cake - 8 servings

1c butter, room temp.
1/2 c. plus 2/3 c sugar
6 large, firm but ripe peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
juice of one lemon
1/2c blanched whole almonds
1c self rising cake flour
2 large eggs
1/3 c heavy cream
1 t almond extract
creme fraiche or whipped cream (optional) for service

Method
In a cast iron skillet or other ovenproof skillet over medium heat, melt 1/2 cup of the butter and 1/2 c of sugar. Cook, stirring until the sugar has melted and the mixture is caramel in colour, 20-30 minutes. Place the peach slices in a circular pattern in the butter/sugar mixture and drizzle with the lemon juice. Remove from heat.

Preheat teh oven to 375F. Put the almond and remaining 2/3 sugar into a food processor and process to a fine consistency. Add the flour and pulse to blend. Add the remaining 1/2 c butter, the eggs, cream, extract and processs again to make a stiff batter.

Pour the batter over the peaches and bake until the top is browned and the cake has risen, 45 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350F and bake until a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean, 10-15 mintues more.

Remove from the oven and run a knife around the edges of the skillet. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes. Then, with mitts or pot holders, place a serving platter over the top of the skillet and carefully invert the cake onto the plate. Remove the pan. Serve with creme fraiche or whipped cream.

I hope you like it, Alix:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I could do this one.
Upsidedown cakes are the bomb!!!
1.gif

Fresh peaches make mah mouth water...

I bet this would be wonderful with a splash of rum...mmmmmmmm. I've printed the recipe. Thanks.

First of all...RD...why cannot you do this??

And Dina, sure, let us have lots of rum. We'll drink it and add it to the cake.

I'm off to the hot tub now...still drinking martinis, but I'll think of cake and rum, I swear.

xox

When I buy a pint of booze to cook with I always drink all but the 1/4 cup I use in the recipe, unless I get careless.

Your cake seems way beyond my degree of expertise :blush:

Last edited:
I will be making this soon. I love peaches and almonds together. I always put a bit of almond extract in my peach cobbler.

Oh thank you Vera! It looks incredible! rdcast, its really pretty easy I think. Don't let the caramelizing bit at the beginning throw you off.

Hi

i saw your receipe its nice i have tried a pineapple upside down, but this is a little different, can i use the tinned peaches

Mrs Salma Esmail said:
i saw your receipe its nice i have tried a pineapple upside down, but this is a little different, can i use the tinned peaches

I don't see why not....

I love the way you say 'tinned' instead of 'canned':cool:

copying, pasting, thanks vb.

ditto on chefjune's comment. now that you know weed orchards, you'll have to go up in august during their peach harvest.

Copied, pasted, saved, and credit given in the heading. I too, will have to try this next summer during peach season. Now that we're in Tulsa, I may have to take the family down to Porter during the Peach Festival, and show my kids how to pick fresh peaches. Process and freeze the bulk for later use, but a lot of them will be eaten very quickly.

Back
Top Bottom