Peach Blueberry cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marmalady

Executive Chef
This was from Gourmet's August mag - just got around to making it:rolleyes: - I added cinnamon and more vanilla. Since peach season is about over, I don't see why this wouldn't work just as well with frozen peaches.

PEACH AND BLUEBERRY CAKE

Pastry –

1 ½ cups flour
½ cup sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
1 stick butter, cut into cubes
1 large egg
1 ½ tsp vanilla

Filling –

½ cup sugar
2T flour
1T quick-cooking tapioca
2 lb firm ripe peaches (about 5-6), peeled, pitted and cut in ¼’s
1 cup blueberries
1T lemon juice
1 tsp. cinnamon

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

For Pastry: Pulse flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in food processor. Add butter and pulse til mixture resembles coarse meal. Add egg and vanilla, pulse til dough just begins to come together. Press dough onto bottom and sides about ¼ inch up of a 9” springform. Chill til firm, about 10 minutes.

For Filling: Grind 2T sugar with flour and tapioca til tapioca is powdery, then transfer to a large bowl and add the rest of the sugar; add peaches, blueberries, lemon juice and cinnamon, toss gently to coat.

Spoon filling onto pastry, cover loosely with foil, and bake about 1 ¾ hours til filling is bubbling and crust is golden. remove from oven, run a knife around the edge, and loosen the springform. Cool to warm before cutting.

After bake edit: Just came out of the oven half an hour ago, and had my first slice - oh - yum! The pastry is like a cross between a sweet biscuit and a cake - crunchy and tender!

I did peek after an hour, having never baked anything like this for so long, even under foil; I must have had really juicy peaches, because there was LOTS of juice; so for the last half hour, I removed the foil and that seemed to thicken up the juice considerably.

This is delicious - and easy, too! Oh - and looks gorgeous!

Last edited:
WOW! This looks wonderful. I don't have any tapioca though, any thoughts on subs? I am in a baking zone today and would love to try this one out.

SOrry I didn't see your question earlier today, Alix - you can just use whatever you use to thicken a pie filling - cornstarch, flour or whatever. Just adjust the flour in the recipe accordingly.

Cool. Thanks marmalady. I made cookies instead. Think I will make this for a community function on Sunday. I bet it will be a big hit!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom