Peach Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
I am going to a potluck/BBQ a couple of weekends and I want to bring a peach cobbler. I have never made a peach cobbler before and found this recipe on the internet. Does this recipe look OK and does anyone has a recipe that they like?

Thanks, SC :)

Grandma's Peach Cobbler
  • 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 cups peeled and sliced fresh peaches, with their juices
Preheat oven to 350°F.

Put the butter in a 9x13-inch Pyrex baking dish and put the dish in the preheating oven. While the butter is melting, mix up the batter by combining the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and milk.

When the butter is completely melted, remove the pan and pour the batter into the melted butter. Then, carefully spoon the peaches and juice evenly over the batter. Return dish to the oven and bake for 30 minutes. As the cobbler cooks, the batter will rise up and around the peaches. Makes 10 to 12 servings.

It looks fine to me, Sierra. I don't have a recipe for peach cobbler, but this is one of my favorite peach recipes that is similar to a cobbler but with a twist. Depending on how hungry people are, this can serve 6-8 (in my house, 4 at most!).

Peach Whirligigs

5 large fresh peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced

2 c water

1 ½ c white sugar

2 Tbsp cornstarch

1 1/3 c buttermilk baking mix (like Bisquick. I use the reduced fat Bisquick)

2 Tbsp white sugar

2 Tbsp butter, melted

1/3 c milk

2 Tbsp butter softened

¼ c white sugar

1 tsp ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 425F.

In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine peaches, water, 1 ½ c sugar and cornstarch. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil for one minute, then reduce heat to low to keep warm.

In a large bowl, stir together baking mix, 2 Tbsp sugar, melted butter and milk to form a soft dough. Remove to floured surface and knead 8-10 times. Roll out into a 9” square.

Spread softened butter over dough. Combine ¼ c sugar with cinnamon, and sprinkle mixture over dough. Roll dough into a log shape and cut into six 1 ½” slices. Pour hot peach mixture into an 8x8” baking dish. Place roll slices, cut side up, on top of peach mixture.

Bake in preheated oven 20-25 minutes, until puffed and golden. Serve warm.

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
This is the recipe that I use. It's from the Betty Crocker cookbook. I always have home canned peaches here so I use them instead of fresh. Also, I add a tablespoon or two of sugar to the crust and double that part of the recipe since my family loves the bread part of this dessert.

It's great topped with French Vanilla ice cream
Fresh Peach Cobbler

1/2cup sugar 1tablespoon cornstarch 1/4teaspoon ground cinnamon 4cups sliced fresh peaches (6 medium) 1teaspoon lemon juice 3tablespoons shortening 1cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour 1tablespoon sugar 1 1/2teaspoons baking powder 1/2teaspoon salt 1/2cup milk
Cream, if desired
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
1. Heat oven to 400º. 2. Mix 1/2 cup sugar, the cornstarch and cinnamon in 2-quart saucepan. Stir in peaches and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir 1 minute. Pour into ungreased 2-quart casserole; keep peach mixture hot in oven. 3. Cut shortening into flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, the baking powder and salt in medium bowl, using pastry blender or crisscrossing 2 knives, until mixture look like fine crumbs. Stir in milk. Drop dough by 6 spoonfuls onto hot peach mixture. 4. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm with cream if desired.

Sierra - I have the ultimate peach cobbler recipe that my mom makes all the time. I thought I'd posted it, but I can't find it. After I put the next load of laundry in, I'll type it out for you.

SC, the recipe you posted is the one I use for all my cobblers & it's wonderful!

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3 Minute Cobbler- It only takes 3 minutes to mix up! [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2C. butter or margarine
1C. flour
1C. granulated sugar
2teaspoons baking powder
3/4C. milk
1/4teaspoon salt
1 16 ounce can fruit pie filling or fruit
Melt butter in a casserole dish. Stir in flour, sugar, baking powder, milk, & salt until all lumps are gone.(A wire whisk is best for this.) Dump the fruit on top, but don't stir it in. Bake for 1 hour at 350 deg.

[/font]

Last edited:
The recipe I use is practically the same as crewsk's. I reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup (peaches are sweet) and the milk to 2/3 cup. Add a pinch of fresh grated nutmeg. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes.

I made some last weekend and tossed in a few blueberries.

57721034.jpg

Back
Top Bottom