Pectin as a general thickening agent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JillBurgh

Sous Chef
Can I use Pectin as a general thickening agent?

Hello everyone. I am helping my brother make non-dairy cream cheese frosting. He tried it last year with Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese, but the fake cream cheese was too runny to pipe onto cupcakes. He tried adding unflavored gelatin to no avail.

So I wonder...

Doies anyone know if you can use pectin to thicken frostings or only jellies? I know Zero about pectin so any advice for the pectin or for thickening the frosting some other way is appreciated!

Well, my PC time is drawing to a close for the day, so I will go and buy some pectin. Google tells me there is liquid AND powder pectin, so I think liquid would be best. I can't find any "how to use pectin" places on the web! This internet thing isn't going to catch on, I don't think...

Maybe we can boil the pectin in some soymilk and then fold in the tofutti cream cheese. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Hi, I was wondering if the liquid pectin worked for you.

I have used powdered pectin as a binder for baking items that tend
to have a loose crumb and fall apart. The pectin did the trick.

Since you said you are wanted to thicken something that is already a bit
too loose I would have used powdered pectin.

You might also try xanthan and guar gum. They are very good thickeners too.

It takes a bit of practice to get the right amount but they do the job. You
can purchase these at health food stores or online.

Jeff

We bought some pectin but weren't brave enough to use it. Still haven't figured out a way to thicken & stabilize the fake cream cheese.

I am so pleased that you posted those suggestions and look forward to experimenting the next time!

Thanks for you help, Jeff.

Jill, the Xanthan may be the way to go. Guar Gum can add a little bit of a flavor in our experience. Like Jeff said, they are both a little tricky to get the right consistency. We use it [Xanthan] to thicken fresh crushed strawberries as a topping for crepes at the brunch we cook at. It doesn't change the flavor of the strawberries and we don't have to add sugar or make a thin jelly.

If you have trouble finding it near you, let me know. The amish store just out of town sells it cheap and in bulk, I could mail you some.

Sorry you didn't get any responses to your original post ... very interesting problem! What are you using in place of the butter?

We bought some pectin but weren't brave enough to use it. Still haven't figured out a way to thicken & stabilize the fake cream cheese.

I am so pleased that you posted those suggestions and look forward to experimenting the next time!

Thanks for you help, Jeff.

Sure thing. If you do venture further along with this please let us know how you made out.

Jeff

Jill, the Xanthan may be the way to go. Guar Gum can add a little bit of a flavor in our experience. Like Jeff said, they are both a little tricky to get the right consistency. We use it [Xanthan] to thicken fresh crushed strawberries as a topping for crepes at the brunch we cook at. It doesn't change the flavor of the strawberries and we don't have to add sugar or make a thin jelly.

If you have trouble finding it near you, let me know. The amish store just out of town sells it cheap and in bulk, I could mail you some.

Sorry you didn't get any responses to your original post ... very interesting problem! What are you using in place of the butter?

My brother is the one who makes it every year (I am a Dairy Purist, personally. Full fat full flavor). But since he can't handle that he simply substitutes margarine for the butter.

Back
Top Bottom