Pie Filling in the Cake Mix (and a Hello!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tessaesque

Assistant Cook
Hello all, new to the forums here. I briefly browsed through the topics already posted and didn't see anything quite like this, so I hope I'm not being repetitive:

A few weeks ago I took a standard vanilla cake mix and eliminated the water to substitute with puree'd berries. The cake TASTED absolutely delicious, but it never dried enough durnig the baking process and stuck to the sides of my non-stick pans, resulting in a crumbly, moist pile of cake bits.

Since mother's day is this Sunday I'm wanting to re-create the yummy without the disaster, so I'm wondering if anybody has any tips. I'm wanting to use some blackberry pie filing with vanilla cake mix (swirled in after the pans have filled, not mixed fully into the batter) but I'm also wanting to make sure that I don't end up with a mushy pile of chocolate frosted goo.

Anybody mastered this mash-up? Looking for any tips or hints you may have!!

Thanks in advance

Welcome to Discuss Cooking. I have no tips for you (I am much better at eating cake than making it) but it does sound like an interesting idea. Hope you get it sorted, if not spoon cake is ok too. :)

I remember seeing something like this somewhere on the forum. It went by a specific name though. I will have to poke my brain a few times to find the info. Let me get my brain jar and my pokin stick and I will get back to you. Also, WELCOME to the forum!!

I remember seeing something like this somewhere on the forum. It went by a specific name though. I will have to poke my brain a few times to find the info. Let me get my brain jar and my pokin stick and I will get back to you. Also, WELCOME to the forum!!

Thanks! Sidenote: I LOVE Pearls Before Swine!!

you can swirl pie filling into the batter, but replacing the liquid with the pie filling probably won't work as pie filling usually rely on fiber of some sort, and or starch to create the "sauce" surrounding the fruit. Too much fiber or starch will leave the batter stick, as you mentioned. Plus, the water is locked up in the starch or fiber, leaving none to create the cake crumb.

Besides swirling, another delicious option is to macerate fresh fruit with sugar, and bake your cake. Cut the cake into layers and spoon equal amounts of macerated fruit in between layers, and on top. the free liquid will soak into the pie, making it very moist, but preserving the integrity of the cake. If you heat the macerated fruit, and add unflavored gelatin to it, then refrigerate it, the end result will be extremely moist, with great fruit flavor, and be very refreshing rather than heavy or soggy.

The last technique for this is to make your cake and cut it into three layers. remove the center of the 2nd layer, leaving about an inch thick rim of cake. Fill that layer with the pie filling and top with the third layer. Frost as normal.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

you can swirl pie filling into the batter, but replacing the liquid with the pie filling probably won't work as pie filling usually rely on fiber of some sort, and or starch to create the "sauce" surrounding the fruit. Too much fiber or starch will leave the batter stick, as you mentioned. Plus, the water is locked up in the starch or fiber, leaving none to create the cake crumb.

Besides swirling, another delicious option is to macerate fresh fruit with sugar, and bake your cake. Cut the cake into layers and spoon equal amounts of macerated fruit in between layers, and on top. the free liquid will soak into the pie, making it very moist, but preserving the integrity of the cake. If you heat the macerated fruit, and add unflavored gelatin to it, then refrigerate it, the end result will be extremely moist, with great fruit flavor, and be very refreshing rather than heavy or soggy.

The last technique for this is to make your cake and cut it into three layers. remove the center of the 2nd layer, leaving about an inch thick rim of cake. Fill that layer with the pie filling and top with the third layer. Frost as normal.

Hope that helps.

I didn't think of layering the fruit inbetween the baked pieces. I definitely just had a "duh" moment. Brilliant idea!! I think I may make a test cake on Saturday to see if I can get the quantities right.

There are tried and true recipes with cake mixes. Heck, there are even cookbooks you can buy with such recipes!

If you specially want a cake mix and can of pie filling, this works well:

LEMON DELIGHTS
1 package angel food cake mix
1 22 oz can lemon (or any flavor) pie filling
1/3 cup sliced almonds (optional)
¼ cup shredded coconut.

Mix and bake at 350 in 9 by 13 pan.

Easy Brownies A La Mode

Mix together one brownie mix, 1 cup cherry pie filling, 1/4 cup oil and 2 eggs. Grease bottom of 9 by 13 pan. Bake at 350 for half an hour. Take out of oven and sprinkle with 1 1/4 cups chocolate chips. Spread when melted. When serving, cut into squares Top with vanilla ice cream and spoonful of remaining pie filling.

Variation - try different kinds of pie filling.

Apple Chocolate Cake
Mix any chocolate cake mix, one can 21 oz. apple pie filling, and three eggs. Scrape into greased 9 by 13 pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup chocolate chips and 3/4 cup chopped nuts, any kind. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. COULD PROBABLY VARY THE PIE FILLING AS YOU LIKE.

I have another one with chocolate cake mix and cherry pie filling; i
'll try to find it for you.

The Chocolate Cherry Cake
Recipe tweaked from another board

1 pkg chocolate cake mix, any kind
1 (21 oz) can cherry pie filling
1 tsp almond extract
2 eggs, beaten

Frosting:
1 cup sugar
5 tbsp butter or margarine
1/3 c. milk
1 (6 oz) pkg. chocolate chips

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 13x9 pan. In bowl, combine all cake ingredients. Stir together until mixed well. Pour into pan. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

If frosting,
combine sugar, butter, and milk in small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate chips until smooth. Pour over warm cake.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

So I ended up mixing the batter per the instructions. After baking I sliced each portion of cake in half lengthwise (like a hamburger bun) and coated each layer with a thin coating of cream cheese icing following by a thin coating of blackberry pie filling. I topped the cake off with whipped chocolate icing and white icing piping. It turned out MUCH better than my other attempts and everybody inhaled it once we finished dinner on Sunday.

Thanks for all your help, guys!

Everyone love a success story. Congrats on your cake. You are now officially one of us. Oops. Wait. You have to try something grand and have it absolutely flop to truly be a foodie. And have I ever had some flops in the long road to what I know today.:LOL:. Now let me see, what really strange thing can I try next that will either be brilliant, or turn out truly disgusting?:ROFLMAO:

Pumpkin Pie Cake

I have made a similar cake.
You use a can of pumpkin and make a standard pumpkin custard cut the liquid by 1/4. In a 9x11 pan grease and flour then pour in the custard.
Take one package of yellow cake mix reserve 1/4 of that. Pour the dry cake mix into the pan.
Mix the reserved mix and mix it with brown sugar and very cold butter chunks in very small chunks.
Place these on top and bake as a pie 350deg. for 40 or so minutes check for set. Let cool and pig out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom