Pineapple Upside-Down Cake (Variation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is this upside down cake?

The best part about pineapple upside down cake is that it's baked upsdie down so the pineapple and brown sugar carmelize against the hot pan ....:)
God Jennyema, that carmelization around the top of the cake while it is still in the cast iron pan is what I am talking about. How come I can't seem to be able to get that sugar and butter to carmelize? Maybe I need to google this . . . :question::unsure:

God Jennyema, that carmelization around the top of the cake while it is still in the cast iron pan is what I am talking about. How come I can't seem to be able to get that sugar and butter to carmelize? Maybe I need to google this . . . :question::unsure:
So you bake you PUD cake in cast iron? That's interesting. I've never heard of that.

So you bake you PUD cake in cast iron? That's interesting. I've never heard of that.
Sí, Callisto: that is how my mother did it, so I do the same. Her's had that magnificent, carmelized edge that I particularly loved. I have never been able to duplicate it. :unsure:

Sí, Callisto: that is how my mother did it, so I do the same. Her's had that magnificent, carmelized edge that I particularly loved. I have never been able to duplicate it. :unsure:
I'm going to assume mom's not around any longer to ask her her trick. :( Maybe if you got the pan a little hotter. Heat creates carmelization (I believe). Do you bake it in the CI or cook it on the stove?

You have to bake it in the oven so the cake will rise and be light and airy. I am going to use more butter, brown sugar and granulated suger next time, as well as raise the baking temperature from 350 to 375 or 400 for about 45 minutes. I will report if I get any improvement on my recipe. :chef:

My mom use to make a cake just like this all in one dish with everything on top..Her pineapple brown sugar cake, not upside down but so yummy. Thanks for reminding me..It's been a long time

kadesma

Last edited:
That was a very nice recipe.. i messed it up the first time and the cake did not come out well .. then again i tried and it came out with flying colors lol!!! thanks for the recipe friend!!!

I make mine in a cast iron skillet too and it never comes out as crispy good as my mom's either! I have watched her make hers and do it the same way but it's never as good.

She melts the butter (lots) puts the sugar on top of the melted butter, pineapple on top of that and then the batter.

Maybe it has something to do with how hot the skillet is to start with?

I used to have this for dessert at school dinners!! It was the only dish they didn't muck up....probably 'cause it's moist & didn't dry out..lucky for us :0)

I make mine in a cast iron skillet too and it never comes out as crispy good as my mom's either! I have watched her make hers and do it the same way but it's never as good.

She melts the butter (lots) puts the sugar on top of the melted butter, pineapple on top of that and then the batter.

It is nice that we are sharing the same issue. I will keep trying and you do too, and whoever figures it out can share the "secret". I watched my mom make "my" birthday cake many, many times. I swear you could have cut a piece of paper with the carmalized edge of the "top" of the cake after it was turned over!

My mother also used lots of butter (never saw her measure, but she put a couple sticks in), brown sugar (she used a two cup measure, which was filled to varying heights on different years). She put the pineapple rings around the edge of the bottom of the cast iron skillet and one in the middle. She put a maraschino cherry in the middle of each (stemless) and scattered a few chopped ones just outside the pineapple. She cut a few (this also varied over the years) in half and stood them up along the sides of the skillet.

She always made the cake mix from scratch, (this is where I really got lost), but she used the reserved pineapple juice with all its sugar, diluted with some water, instead of milk or water for the batter. Two eggs.

She always let it cool completely before she turned it over. She said that let the juices congeal. Oh, almost forgot: she always sort of pushed the pineapple slices down into the butter and sugar. That resulted in the pineapple almost being "clean" when you saw it after the cake was turned over.

My mother was all Irish. She wasn't much of a cook, but she could bake! Well she raised a family of 6 and none of us were hungry, so her cooking can't have been that bad. :LOL: People raved over her lemon meringue and pumpkin pies. We normally had home made biscuits, sourdough bread, cakes and pies to die for, and the whole extended family showed up when Marge was baking something. RIP mom. We always ate dinner in the kitchen together, until I left for the Navy.

I'd bet that's the secret. Your post made me think of making candy. The hotter the sugar gets, the harder the candy is...

Question for those having trouble ~ are you using pineapple in heavy syrup? Now a days pineapple is so often sold in "lite" forms. Seems like the sugar in the heavy syrup would contribute to the carmilazation.

Actually, Callisto, I hadn't thought of it before, but I think you have hit the nail on the head!

What you can do if you can't find pineapple in heavy syrup is to make a simple syrup of equal parts of sugar and water and boil (don't caramelize). In fact, you could use the juice of the pineapple as part of the water. Then just use enough to replace the juice (maybe measure the juice first and use the same quantity. Just a thought.

Actually, Callisto, I hadn't thought of it before, but I think you have hit the nail on the head!

What you can do if you can't find pineapple in heavy syrup is to make a simple syrup of equal parts of sugar and water and boil (don't caramelize). In fact, you could use the juice of the pineapple as part of the water. Then just use enough to replace the juice (maybe measure the juice first and use the same quantity. Just a thought.
Thanks. I know we all seem to buy the lite stuff because it's healthier. I'm sure if I look today, heavy syrup will be harder to find than the lite stuff so that mixture you listed was a great idea. I do hope that's the key to getting that carmilization you all are looking for.

You go, girl!! I understood your recipe and also understood it to be a variation of the traditional one. I am also turned off by this forum because of how you and others (including myself) have been treated.
Post as many recipes as you want, they sound good.

Wyogal, I just visited your blog, and I must tell you...your crab cakes look AMAZING (as does your tart...yummy!!!) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom