Pineapple upside down cakes..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I have always made mine in a cast iron pan because when I used a normal cake pan, the cake would not roll beautifully off and make a nice presentation. Any suggestions?

I make pineapple upside down cake in a cast iron pan too. Try it with plums or other stone fruits some time. You can use the same batter.

If using a regular cake pan, try lining the bottom with wax paper or parchment paper with some of the paper sticking up. Then you can use the paper to help lift the cake from the pan. Peel the paper off (and lick your fingers.)

I use a 9" cast iron skillet but if I had to use a conventional cake pan I would try lining the bottom of the pan with parchment paper. I think that the parchment paper would help the cake release and then could be peeled from the cake after it is turned out.

Having plenty of whipped cream available to cover up any problems is also a big help! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Oops! I was typing while Whiska was posting!!!

Ha-ha, and we have our thinking caps on at this early hour of the day. Debating on making coffee or going back to bed. A little cake would be good right about now. :yum:

I too use a 9” cast iron skillet. I’ve gotta reduce my amount of batter though. I always have a bit left over; I think the recipe’s for a 10” skillet.

I’ve used a springform pan before. It worked okay, but just seemed off. Maybe too deep.

I've used both. The trick is to invert the cake out of the pan/skillet as soon as it comes out of the oven. If you're already doing that, I don't know why you're having a problem but the parchment paper idea is right on.

I always use a cast iron skillet. It helps the sugar to carmelize. Invert it very soon after taking it out.

I don't understand using parchment paper on the bottom of an upside down cake, though ....

I always use a cast iron skillet. It helps the sugar to carmelize. Invert it very soon after taking it out.

I don't understand using parchment paper on the bottom of an upside down cake, though ....
When you turn it out, the bottom becomes the top. The parchment will keep it from sticking.

When you turn it out, the bottom becomes the top. The parchment will keep it from sticking.

Yes, but how do you caramelize the sugar and fruit on that parchment paper?

Typically a pineapple upside down cake is melted sugar, butter and pineapple, bubbled a bit to add some color and flavor. Then the cake batter is poured over and baked. Not sure how you would cook on that paper....

Yes, but how do you caramelize the sugar and fruit on that parchment paper?

Typically a pineapple upside down cake is melted sugar, butter and pineapple, bubbled a bit to add some color and flavor. Then the cake batter is poured over and baked. Not sure how you would cook on that paper....
No idea. I was just trying to explain what the person who posted it meant. I've never made this cake. But now that you explain it, of course it won't work.

As long as the sugar/fruit/butter combination reached the temperature necessary to start the caramelization, I don't think the paper will make a difference.

Maybe first flip it onto a broiler safe surface, then pop the pineapple-side-up side under the broiler to caramelize? Just tossing this out there...

Yes, that's my concern because the best part of the cake is the caramelized sugar, which the parchment paper will inhibit....

Otherwise you could just bake the cake rightside up

Hot caramel is sticky but will help the cake slide out of the pan. You just need to invert it pretty much right out of the oven.

Last edited:
The trouble I have had with parchment paper is that the PAPER sticks to the top of the cake...and is messier to get off than the pan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom