Piping bags to decorate cupcakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frostingcupcake

Assistant Cook
What are your thoughts on disposable plastic piping bags that are half textured and half see though from the outside? The textured side is for grip and the see through side allows you to see the colors and air bubbles of the frosting. Do you like piping bags with textured grip? I personally think this would be a good idea, but let me know what you guys think!

Hello Frosting and Welcome to DC.

Bit of a weird idea, imo.

Frosting bags are pliable, whether they are plastic or parchment. Not any real need for textured.

And unless the bag is like the old cloth ones that were filmed on the inside, which I haven't seen since 'Hector was a puppy", colour can be seen through parchment and plastic.

It just sound like a marketing gimmick to me. Try them if you must but personally think you'd be wasting your money. If you make as many cupcakes as your name suggests I imagine you would be rather disappointed.

Where did you see them?

Well actually I do buy the 'disposable' ones, :ermm: only I was and re-use frequently. :LOL:

what I have will last me an aaawwwfully long time.

Welcome to the forum!

I very rarely use those, but I have washable ones. Do those textured ones cost more, or are they just sort of replacing the old kind? Maybe it's something the professionals came up with, for hours and hours of using them.

I think I got rid of my old cloth ones, but I'm not sure. ;)

Last edited:
Welcome Frostcupcake.

I too find this an odd question.

I simply snip a corner of a zipper top bag, fill & pipe, done.
And, our trash collection company recycles all of our plastics,
so they're saving on the landfill. :clap:

Oh btw, I use my "piping bag" for a lot more than icing cup cakes ;)

taxy, couplers are reusable whether you use them in disposable bags or reusable bags. Not sure if you know, but the couplers are used to allow you to change tips.

When I did a lot of cake decorating years ago, I used reusable bags and still have them. Now that I only pipe something very, very, very rarely, I use clear plastic piping bags.

taxy, couplers are reusable whether you use them in disposable bags or reusable bags. Not sure if you know, but the couplers are used to allow you to change tips.

When I did a lot of cake decorating years ago, I used reusable bags and still have them. Now that I only pipe something very, very, very rarely, I use clear plastic piping bags.
No, I didn't know about that. I didn't even know about couplers for piping bags. I just googled to see what you meant. Hmm, maybe that's why my reusable bag is such a PITA. There might be a piece missing. Or maybe I was just doing it all wrong. The last time I used icing was years and years ago. Sometimes I use the bag for whipped cream.

Back
Top Bottom