Please help! Old oven is burning my desserts :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FieryPoetic

Assistant Cook
Hi I recently moved into a rental home. The oven in the kitchen is very old. No matter what I bake it burns the bottoms & sides but leaves the middle/top undone :wacko:. I've never had this problem with any other oven :(. I have made banana bread so many times I have the recipe memorized & it always comes out perfectly. I don't know what to do, I love baking so much. But it's discouraging when each dessert burns & I have to cut off the bottom. It doesn't exactly make it presentable. So if someone could please please give me advice on what I should do, I would greatly appreciate it :). Thank you!!

If you can get the manager to have the oven serviced, it clearly needs temperature adjustment.

At the least, buy an oven thermometer and write down what the temperatures are inside the oven for all the different oven settings you use.

You need to speak to your landlord. An oven that screwed up could be dangerous. If necessary you can probably find a cheap used stove to replace it yourself if the LL won't.

Get an oven thermometer and check the temps for your regular baking temps and then adjust lower to get to the temperature you want.

If it's a gas oven, you could persuade the gas company guy to red tag it, and then the owner would have to replace it.

Welcome to DC! The regulator is wanky. It is easy (and fairly inexpensive) to replace, but that is s/thing your landlord should do. However, even if it were a new range, you'd still be wise to use an oven thermometer. Ovens are not all calibrated the same and can be off.

Back
Top Bottom