Poppy-seed cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kasia

Senior Cook
I strongly recommend "makowiec". It's not simply to do but tastes great. You can see photos: www.wealthymeals.com

INGREDIENTS FOR THE CAKE:
3 cups flour
¾ cup sugar,
25 dag of butter, 8.81 oz
4 egg yolks
4 dag yeast, 1.41 oz
1 ½ cups milk
pinch of salt

COMPONENTS OF THE MATTER POPPY:
50 dag of poppy seeds, 17.63 oz
¾ cup sugar
4 tablespoons honey,
4 dag of butter, 1.41 oz
2 egg whites
1 dag yeast, 0.35 oz
almond oil
10 dag raisins, 3.52 oz - chopped nuts, raisins, orange peel

INGREDIENTS SPREADS:
2 egg whites
2 egg yolks

METHOD:
Prepare the dilution of the yeast ½ cup lukewarm milk and a teaspoon of sugar and allow to rise for about 30 minutes.
Add sugar to yolks and mash mass.
Melt butter and cool.

Sift the flour.

Add to flour risen dilution, the mass of yolk, butter, milk and salt.

And knead the dough.

Cover and let dough rise for about 40 minutes.
Implementation of mass poppy:
Poppy pour boiling water and cook over low heat for 30 minutes.

When cooked, drain off the poppy.

And passed through a clipper 3 times.

In a saucepan, melt butter.

Add the poppy seeds and sugar.

Then add the honey, almond and raisins.

The whole mix and fry for about 10 minutes stirring constantly.

Cool the mass of poppies. Crumble the yeast and combine with 2 tablespoons water and mix thoroughly.

Add yeast to the mass of poppy and mix thoroughly.

Beat the egg whites.

Foam added to the weight of straw.

The whole mix gently.
When dough again to form. If dough is sticky you can add the flour.

Divide the dough into two parts as they come out two poppy seed. One part of the roll.

Rolled dough spread with white.

Place dough on half the weight of straw, spread it evenly.

Then gently and carefully wrap strudel.

Likewise, proceed to the second half of dough and ground poppy seed. Plate lined with paper baking pan and gently place the strudel there.

Smear the top of the dough mass of yolk.

Strudel bake about 1 hour at temp of 180 degrees C or 356 F.

Poppy Seed Cake is moist, rich and SO delicious! When I was in college, one of my sorority sister's family owned Solo Fillings. Her mom would bring a Poppy Seed Cake to the Mothers' Club meetings at the chapter house once a month. Wow! I really looked forward tosnaring a piece of that cake!

Then found Mrs. Novak's recipe was printed on the label of the cans of poppyseed filling. So easy to make, and so delicious.

Mrs. Novak has been baking at that great kitchen in the sky for many years, but the family still owns Solo Fillings. and the recipe is still on the can. (If only they hadn't added corn syrup to their formula! I'd go get a can and make one. :(

June, what is a can of poppyseed filling? I've never seen anything like that. I've only ever seen the dry poppyseeds. Could you not make your own poppyseed mush similar to what is in the can with more acceptable ingredients?

June, what is a can of poppyseed filling? I've never seen anything like that. I've only ever seen the dry poppyseeds. Could you not make your own poppyseed mush similar to what is in the can with more acceptable ingredients?

The poppyseed filling is in the baking ingredients aisle in the grocery store, alongside other such fillings, like cherry pie filling. Solo makes other fillings, as well, but we already know the common fillings.

As for making a similar filling, now that you mention it, I'm sure it's possible. And I'm going to give it a try! That poppy seed cake is so good, and has such great memories attached to it.

Mmm.... Polish Poppy Seed cake. I have not had that in... well.. in at least 39 years, since my Grandmother died.

I love poppy seeds. Not sure why, but love them baked in just about anything. Do they actually have much flavor to them or is it the oil in them that makes them so good?

Me too. I don't know if it's the oil. I DO know that one of my favorite things about winter/early spring is mohn (poppyseed) hamantaschen for Purim. :mrgreen:
I'm also a big fan of Lemon-Poppy muffins and pound cake.

Could be, but I think I could figure it out as I went. My biggest question was about dags, but there are ounces given too.

dags are decagrams. That's 10 grams. I had to google it. I have seen hectograms (100 grams) used, but never decagrams before.

this thread reminded me of how much i love things with poppy seed. wish i could find the solo filling , but alas my store doesn't have it. get a delivery tomorrow, i ordered poppy seeds and a lemon cake mix. you can guess how good it will be. also ordered a mix poppy seed muffins. can hardly wait.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom