"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Great! I think the OP might benefit from giving some thought to the pan s/he intends to use.

Would you mind telling us the $6 bargain winner? That's more my speed, sounds like a better price to performance ratio.
It's actually listed a little cheaper! There was nothing on the list as 6 dollars, nor was there any links leading to a 6 dollar pan. I also watched the video twice and the bakers secret pan was listed as the "winner"

Quote:
Product Name:Baker’s Secret Basics Non-Stick Large Loaf PanManufacturer:Baker's SecretPrice:$4.99 Recommendation Status:RecommendedTesters’ Comments:This past-favorite bargain pan still performed well overall but took browning further than we wanted on both our sandwich loaf and pound cake.
and they had a new one that was still recommended in front of this old top winner and it was:

Quote:
Product Name:Pyrex Glass Loaf PanManufacturer:PyrexPrice:$6.95Recommendation Status:Highly RecommendedTesters’ Comments:A bargain for its performance, this glass dish fell just short of the Williams-Sonoma pan and was just a tad heavier.
Where to Shop:Sur la Table (800-243-0852 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 800-243-0852 end_of_the_skype_highlighting, Cookware, Cutlery, Dinnerware, Bakeware | Sur La Table)

Old 02-15-2012, 07:02 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Thanks Merlot! I've often used Pyrex with good results. You just have to remember to not drop it.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Thanks Merlot! I've often used Pyrex with good results. You just have to remember to not drop it.

anytime! if you ever need something from ATK just yell at me, I do have a membership for now
I havent dropped any pyrex lately but I had a brain blowout the otherday and put my 2 eggs I need on to the kitchen table, turned back to the refrig and heard them crack a few seconds later on the floor.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #14
Executive Chef

When I resume cooking more frequently (when I get a better kitchen) I'll strongly consider joining ATK myself. I've really enjoyed their TV program and I've already purchased one of their cookbooks, which reminds me I'm going to want to cook several of their cookbook recipes too. Their show is always interesting even when covering recipes that I'm not that likely to cook. Some of the ideas they've come up were just killer!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:19 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have had a rotten time with anything from Baker's Secret. I hate the stuff. The non-stick often doesn't non-stick and then it's a bugger to get clean.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have had a rotten time with anything from Baker's Secret. I hate the stuff. The non-stick often doesn't non-stick and then it's a bugger to get clean.
i don't like them either, taxlady. gave what i had to the vets truck.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:25 AM   #17
Head Chef

Have you asked the cake baker how she gets the crust?
Old 02-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I subscribed to Cook's magazine some time ago and they featured a recipie for a "Cold Oven Pound Cake" which was described as having a "delicate crust." I don't have the magazine handy but I'm sure if you researched cold oven pound cake, there is most likely a recipie out there.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I know this is an old thread but in case anyone is still interested, here goes. My Grandmother in her day was not a Baker by profession but everything she touched in the kitchen was a success. Even her mistakes just turned out to be a delicious discovery. Well she had this recipe for a sour cream pound cake that she had made for years perfectly until she got a new bundt pan (that's what she always cooked hers in). Something happened to her old one & she had to get a new one. I don't know what the material is, it's coated, tan in color sort of a fluted bundt pan (the largest one she could find because her recipe made a huge cake - barely stayed in the pan). Well she made her usual sour cream pound cake and she thought it a disaster but she stumbled upon Granny deliciousness. She did grease the pan. She just used butter and flour to do so. And she did not use a cold oven technique. Although there was a "technique" involved. Your not going to believe this but this did it: she put the cake in the preheated oven and just as it started to rise (not after it has risen for a while she would open the oven door and slam it making the cake fall. The cake would rise back up again and still be a full size cake without boiling over the bundt pan and the result was this incredible crust with a wonderful moist rich cake inside. The original accident was simply that her new pan wasn't big enough for the cake recipe & said cake boiled over but the result was even better than the original. I know that's kind of way out there. I have not tried this myself having never understood how she could actually get a second rise out of this cake like it's yeast bread but with no yeast in this recipe. I may see if I can dig up this recipe & give it whirl. Granny never made a mistake in the kitchen, only discoveries.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #20
Executive Chef

That's an interesting "slam the oven door" technique!

You should post the recipe if you want a more detailed analysis. But even slamming the oven door isn't going to retrogress yeast bread back into the stone age. You'd have to punch it down by hand to get even close.

Tags
None