"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 09-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
Beating cake batter would make the cake tough. The more you move flour around the more gluten it makes = tough cake.

Correct me if I'm wrong?
I'm not a huge baker but in my experience this only holds true for kneading, not beating necessarily. But, beating 6 cups of flour might be different too. I just know that the more liquid you have, the more time it will take to get air into it. Right? Now I want to try it and see myself ...

Old 09-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger View Post
I'm not a huge baker but in my experience this only holds true for kneading, not beating necessarily. But, beating 6 cups of flour might be different too. I just know that the more liquid you have, the more time it will take to get air into it. Right? Now I want to try it and see myself ...
I've seen recipes that caution against over mixing batters. Pancake batter is one that cautions against over beating, saying it's OK to leave some lumps.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

What type of flour did you use? Cake flour has less protein than bread or AP flour. The higher the protein, the chewier the end product. Bread flour has higher protein than AP. When you knead the dough, gluten (which provides the elasticity) and cross-links form. Shortening added inhibits the cross-links. Using a softer flour (cake flour) will result in a lighter texture in the end product.

I am surprised there are no eggs in the recipe. Eggs act as an emulsifier and result in a smoother, lighter texture in a cake recipe. They also act as a leavening agent.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Bakechef, I had to look up heating cores. I had no idea. However, I need you to explain how it's used. It seems it would leave a big hole in the cake, so I know I'm missing something.
it does leave a hole, but you poke the cake out of the core, and place it back in to the cake.

An alternative to this is to use one or more flower nails turned upside down in the pan before the batter is poured in, these can be removed with very little damage to the cake.

Ateco has manufactured a heating core based on this idea, seems like this would work better since they are flat and a little thicker on the stem.

I avoided needing these for the wedding cake by doing multiple thin layers that cooked quickly, the thinner layers also cooked much more evenly and flatter. I also wasn't familiar with how my mom's oven cooked so, I thought that this was the way to go. My mom's oven ended up doing a pretty good job overall.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've seen recipes that caution against over mixing batters. Pancake batter is one that cautions against over beating, saying it's OK to leave some lumps.
Very true. Hm. I find when I make cake, I get a softer, fluffier cake when I beat it about 2 - 3 minutes more than recommended. I don't know
Old 09-01-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

With cake there is a delicate balance.

You have to beat it just enough to develop a bit of gluten for structure, but not so much that you develop too much gluten to get a tough texture.

Too little beating and a cake will lack the structure to rise and stay risen, too much beating will yield a nice tall cake that is much less tender.

Cake flour helps avoid creating too much gluten.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Thanks! Good food for thought...the single recipe calls for 2 eggs - sorry for not mentioning that. Anyone got a good recipe for chocolate cake from scratch? I am curious about the baking soda and acid. I don't think eggs or oil are acidic.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:37 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Actually, now that I think about it, this recipe originally called for round cake pans to make 3 round cakes but I have always used a 9x13" pan and it has come out well..but inconsistently. This time I used half general purpose flour and half low gluten - I ran out of the first while making it.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy M posted a recipe for an easy chocolate cake. Do a search for it.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake is pretty fantastic. It's on the can and online.

Tags
recipe

Problems doubling a recipe I have a cake pan that requires me to double the recipe for a chocolate cake that I often make (recipe requires 3 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, 1 cup oil, 2 cups water and 2 tsp baking soda, to give you an idea. In the past I had trouble with the cake cracking very early in the baking time. This last time I added quite a bit more water to the batter - more than 5 cups instead of the required 4 - and the batter thinned out and produced a cake with almost no crack and no crown - pretty flat on top. These are good things but it was also a bit heavier, not the light airy cake that the recipe usually makes. Should I add a little more baking soda to the recipe? Cook at a lower/higher temperature? 3 stars 1 reviews